[RC] Australia: World Championships - John Teeter

From: Sharon Meyers <montbrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 4, 2008 2:49:57 PM GMT+08:00

FEI World Endurance Championships 2008 Malaysia

Monday: The Australian media, Matt Bennet and Sharon Meyers flew into Terengganu yesterday, Matt from Tasmania and myself from Brisbane. Upon arrival the Australians (there were quite a few of us) were warmly welcomed at the airport by representatives of the organising committee. After collecting our baggage we boarded a bus and were driven to our hotels. My hotel was the Primula Beach Resort overlooking the South China Sea.

The drive between the airport and the hotel was interesting with a mixture of old and new housing, from run down shanties to ultra modern and stylish homes. Lots of hustle and bustle on the roads - motor scooters and cars traveling in all directions, including the wrong side of the road on the odd occasion! Throw in a few wandering cattle and by the looks of it you can be assured of an adventurous trip wherever you travel.

Our feet had hardly touched the elegant tiled foyer of Primula before we were whisked away by John Simpson (Media and Crew Manager) to the ride venue – a trip of around 45 minutes duration. As we pulled up at the grounds, the first thing we noticed was the huge white marquee that hogged the landscape. Apparently this was the airconditioned dinning room!

After a delicious lunch we had the opportunity to visit the Australian stables. Due to quarantine regulations we were unable to enter them or the grounds they were on, so waited until the horses came out for their exercise. They looked fantastic and apparently all are traveling extremely well.

We then went out on track. From the areas we drove along it looked flat and soft – sandy but not heavy sand. We viewed the crewing areas as well. They have three large lights to illuminate each area, so hopefully we will be able to photograph at them. We went down along a road that paralled the beach, where there was great view out to an island and the water certainly looked cool and inviting. A couple of horses were swimming while we were there – not sure what country they came from but we jumped out and took a few snaps of them. I heard a rumour there are crocodiles around, but we never saw any sign of them.

In the evening there was a welcoming dinner with a live band. They were pretty good too and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The trip back to the hotel had a festive feel to it because of coloured lighting lining many of the roads. I guess we arrived back at our hotel around 11.30pm – it had been a long day indeed.

Tuesday: We went out to the venue mid-morning to the media room to organize photos and this report to be sent out. Due to a few emailing problems I have been delayed getting this to you all.

Must admit it’s wonderful seeing so many countries being represented here. I chatted with a few of the Columbian crew at lunch today – they were having a great time.

Later this afternoon we are going to photograph the Aussies and their horses and then it’s off to the Aussie get-together.

For those curious about the weather – it’s hot and humid.

Until next time.

Cheers,
Sharon Meyers
Sharon@xxxxxxxxxxx