Re: [RC] Oroville Ride? - Renie

Oroville...  very wet, windy, trails very slick.  I really slowed down although I know the trails well, having done the ride before.  We finished the ride 17th, I think, about 3 hours after the winner.  I wouldn't have ridden it any differently, however, even though I finished 6th place the last time I did it.
They have excellent management and tons of volunteers who were out in the rain and wind with smiles on their faces and happily checking numbers and directing us across roads and pointing us in the right direction.  I do believe there were a couple of accidents, however.  Someone else may have more info on that, as were didn't get back to camp until almost 5pm;
My only gripe is that the head vet had made the stops longer; the first 30min., the lunch a 1 hour hold, with tack off.  I gather there were problems last year with a few horses in trouble, but it was unseasonably HOT last year.  So, this year, the stops were lengthened.  Here we are, at an out vet check, trying to keep our horses warm, our saddles placed on the ground in puddles, no place to put them off the ground or to keep our pads dry or clean. It was raining hard now. As soon as we vetted in, put the tack back on and throw whatever blankets, tarps whatever we had in our bags. I had a hard time getting my saddle thrown up onto my horse as the darned thing was so wet, I bet it weighed 15lbs. more than it would have if dry.  It was pretty miserable, although my horse ate the whole time.  When it was time to go, and i took off his blanket and waited for the out timer to check my (wet) vet card, he started shivering.  We all just wanted to head on home and get out of the rain/wind.  There was one more vet check on top of the Oroville dam;  very windy, horses trotting out with their heads turned against the rain.  A wonderful volunteer had brought furniture moving blankets so we had something to throw on the horses.  By this time, it was biteingly cold and wet.  This was a 20 min. stop.  Finally on to the finish and the trail was changed to get us on the road and off the actual trail because it was so slick and scary.  About 4 miles from the finish, my horse's left front shoe was almost off.  My friend that I was riding with helped me straighten it enough to get an easyboot over it and we trotted slowly to the finish.  Got vetted in, horses blanketed, out of our sopping clothes (gore-tex didn't keep me dry) loaded up, grabbed some dinner to-gp(it was great!) and headed home.  My horse was very happy to be home in his warm barn. I am glad I went, but I think it was pretty tough going for the horses as it was very slippery for them in many places.    Renie