[RC] [USA: Kathy Brunjes] Saturday - John Teeter

Update to Saturday...I guess it was the hottest day yet!!! we had so much fun at the bbq last nite - whole animals of some sort (some carcasses on the spit were not identifiable...didn't eat THAT...) on the spit, food everywhereand so decorated...I have never seen the Sutra so decorated with lights and lanterns and seashells on strings and colored lights - really pretty. And then the dancing - we danced our heads off - and to think we were going to stay at the hotel and go to bed early! we got back to the hotel around midnight, with Jim driving the toaster.

Kathy-----

Saturday and hot in Malaysia!Hottest day yet...mid 90s, but the good news is that the humidity is staying very low during these hot sunny days. We started the day early with a quick grab of muffins and coffee in the hotel then out to stables - that 45 minute drive seems to be shorter and shorter every day (Not)...the horses are all nickering at us as we open the screen doors, and it's down to business for the day.Dewayne usually has all the horses temped and tick checked by the time we get there, as well as their morning feed and their pens all ready to go...he's been working really hard for all of us...and I understand some are getting wonderful foot massages from him to boot....hint, hint.Our morning workout was for a 90 - 2 hour paced ride, with a 30 minute warm up, 1 hour trot and canter then another 20 minutes of cooling down - John, Cheryl and I to go out together, the rest to follow shortly after us. Right before we were to go out, word came that the King was coming to visit the stables, so we put our ride on hold for 30 minutes - it was getting hotter out, so decided to go ahead and go out on our loop when the King did not come - John waited to ride with Jan, and Cheryl and I headed out. What a great morning to ride - clear and bright - no kids at the village, no wildlife, no odd events - we buzzed around our training loop, cantering one 3 mile phase of our keyhole, then turning around and trotting it backwards, then around at the canter/ trot again - then back to the stables. Out of curiosity, we temped our horses when we got back at 10:30, just to see how the speed with the heat affected Reason and Theatric, and were pleasedthat they were 38.3 and 38.4 without cooling - off to the wash racks and wait for the next batch of riders to come in...everyone is looking good and feeling good - Theatric's leg has cleaned up nicely, and although he has a patch with no hair and pink skin, it's clean and healthy looking - no swelling, no tenderness - he is ready to rock and roll. Reason and Theatric go well together out on trail. While we were coming in at the last turn, we ran into Christina from Columbia and her dad out driving the course...so we stopped and talked a bit - they know Theatric's full brother Tovaric (who is down in South America now) so we chatted a bit about Tovaric. I met Christina last Feb/March at the Rojeks' and she was staying with us at FITS - riding one of Darolyn Butler's horses at FITS.

Before lunch we tried clipping ears again - this is the last day we can clip with a small sedative if needed - and it is important to get the ears clean of long hair over here - Theatric was "pretty" good a week ago, but he wouldn't let me really get inside the ears, so after 10 minutes of taking little swipes, I asked Jim to whisper in his ear and help us out. Well! Seems Theatric isn't into whispering - he needs a stronger directive - and even at that he has an opinion about what's going on up in atmosphere called Theatric's head. We finally got his ears partially clean of hair just 4 minutes before the stables closed for the noon siesta. After lunch, Meg and Cheryl took the bull by the horns and decided to try a local hair dresser to get their hair cut - short, short....some of us went to the beach - I finally remembered to bring a bathing suit with me to the barns. Flavia, Jim, Deb and I hit the water - swimming in the South China Sea, what a rush/blast! the water was azure blue today, with gentle waves - and we had a blast. Back to the stables and hand walk the horses for an hour, then we took the afternoon off - we have another party tonight (bbq at the Sutra) which doesn't start until 8pm, so we are resting and relaxing before a late night out.

I'm maneuvering the toaster around like a pro...passing on the left and right, squeezing through little spaces and speeding off (well, it only can get to 80km per hour, so not so speedy) at intersections. Driving it is a blast. Driving on the opposite side of the road has come back to me pretty quickly. I'll probably have trouble when I get home remembering to drive "correctly"That's it for now...I really wasn't going to go to the party tonight - I was going to call it an early evening and catch up on sleep - but Ruiz (from Portugal) has promised me a "gift" that he brought from Portugal and will only give it to me if I come to the BBQ - and I'm thinking it's a bottle of Portugese wine, so I'm going to accept the gift (!) - hey! you can't pass up a good bottle of wine around here!! I'm sure I will have tales to tell after the party.

Kathy