[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] [WEC Reports] Royal support makes itpossible for Ab... - Endurance.Net

The New Straits Times
11/02/2008

ABDUL Halim Alihan could not have fulfilled his dreams of competing in next week's FEI World Endurance Championships (FEI WEC) if not for the support of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin.
Abdul Halim's interest in horses began when he was a youngster. He often read books on horses but could not venture into the sport due to financial constraints.

However, his chance came when he started work as a groom and riding boy at the Royal Terengganu Stable Club in Sungai Besi in 2006.

"I have been one of the King's horse grooms for the past two years. Tuanku Mizan encouraged me to venture into competitive riding and even loaned me his horse (Brookleigh Kentara) for competitions," said the Kuching-born rider.

"I managed to earn two Certificates of Capability (COC) on this horse for the world meet," said the 27-year-old rider.
Abdul Halim is one of the 12 Malaysian riders competing in the FEI WEC at the Terengganu International Endurance Park (TIEP) in Lembah Bidong, Setiu..

The 27-year-old rider, who has competed in four 160-km endurance competitions so far this year, is ranked 161st in the world. His best result was fifth placing at the Saera event in Australia in June.

The FEI WEC will have 133 riders from 32 countries competing.

--
Posted By Steph Teeter to WEC Reports at 11/02/2008 04:55:00 AM

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 11/01/2008 08:57:00 PM