[RC] Malaysia Sunday Am.. More Ramblings - Lucie Hess

If you think you missed an email from me last night.. well you DID.. I didn't
send one!

Yesterday was a busy day.. I went shopping at the Giant store with Vonita
Bowers and Joe.. We bought supplies for the riders and the rest of us..  The
Giant store is like a  huge Superwalmart with signs in Malay and in English..
thank God.. Vonita said it was cleaner and had more American items than it did
a year ago.
It's really fun to try to ask the workers for things when you don't speak the
language.. It took all 3 of us way over an hour to get what we needed.
Lots of items exposed to the air and their freezer cases are like our open air
ones, but things are in there unpackaged! You use a scoop to get what you
need.. Not me.. Not getting anything outta there!

Then off to the Stables, Where we dropped off the supplies then went to a beach
resort for lunch, very pretty and food was good and reasonable and besides they
have BEER!  (and wine.. either white or red, that's the wine choices).

The afternoon was spent trying to find Chinatown and the souk.. (the open air
market) I think we almost got to Thailand.. we never found China Town or the
Souk. Poor Joe.. he had white knuckles from driving..

Driving in Malaysia is a distinct pleasure... first of all you drive on the
left side, secondly there are tons of scooters and motorcycles that don't
follow the rules of the road.  Two will pass you on both sides..at ONCE!
Folks don't use turn indicators and they often park right on the side of the
road and leave the door open.  (Drivers side door!) So you are constantly
dodging and weaving.   You may get passed at anytime or someone will pull in
without warning..
Also the lane you are in will turn into a turn lane without warning.. well,
perhaps there are warning signs in Malay.. but if you can't read Malay.. you
are kinda  in a bad way.

Did I mention the loose cows and goats? No fences.. the first night I got here,
it was late at night and I thought I was hallucinating when I saw loose cows on
the sidewalk.  So far I've only seen one dead goat, maybe one dead chicken.

I've seen lot's of skinny cats, but no dogs... We have a few here at the Hotel,
one is friendly.

Later in the evening, we a bunch of us went to a BBQ organized by the people
who are putting on the ride. (Organizing Committee.. OC for short),  It was at
the same resort as where we had lunch.. a nice party.  Vonita, Joe and I missed
the shuttle bus, so Joe had to drive again.. This time it was later in the
evening.. so the traffic was lighter and much less scooters so not so bad.
We don't have a map so we are memorizing land marks and place names and using
that form of Navigating to get around.  Some times we go past a turn, but no
worries.. you can always turn around!

Yesterday.. No rain..  until the late night, I must have slept through it.
It rains here everyday.. usually in the afternoon and the evening..
We are about a 1/2 mile or mile from the beach of the South China Sea.  It is
Florida weather.. except it rains longer.. Florida it seems to rain in the
afternoon and then clear up.  Definitely lightening and thunder..

Today is considered an "Off day" for everyone.. The riders are having a night
ride to see how it is to ride here at night and we will be meeting them along
the way and practicing crewing.
Today we are going to go to China Town and the Souk.. We have Grace to take us
there.. she has been there before.
I want to go see some of the beautiful Mosques.. I think Judy Ogus and I may go
soon.

Oh and the reason we are here.. The HORSES..  are all doing well, fit and
acclimating just fine..
The riders are also just being calm, cool and working with their horses and
seem to be focused, but not all uptight.
It's a great team!

More ramblings later...

Columbia, Missouri
 NATRC Region 6