[RC] Adequan - K S Swigart

Angie Mikkelson said:

> You may want to try "generic" adequan (injectable
> Glucosomine) its much cheaper, from what I've been
> told its similar to generic prescriptions for humans,
> same thing just no big fancy name and advertising
> costs to pay for.

Injectable Glucosamine is not the "same thing" as Adequan (which is injectable polysulfated glucosaminaglycan, or something like that).  Probably chemically similar, but NOT the same thing.  And it may or may not have the same pharmacoligcal effect.

H2O and H2O2 are also chemically similar but not the same thing and they definitely do not have the same pharmacology (those two things would be water and hydrogen peroxide).

When one buys Adquan rather than injectible glucosamine, it is not just a big fancy name and advertising that you are paying for, you are also paying for the research, testing, and licensing that was done to prove that the stuff is "safe and efficacious" (i.e. that it actually works and isn't going to do more harm than good).

I make no comment as to whether the "injectable glucosamine" advertised in the provided website IS either safe or efficacious, just that it isn't the same thing as Adequan, and one of the things you aren't paying for when you buy it is FDA approval. And when it comes to the cost of bringing Adequan to market, the cost of getting the FDA approval for a safe, effective product probably far outweighs the cost of advertising--espeicially if one includes in this cost the cost of researching and testing all the failed chemically similar products that they didn't seek approval for.

There is no evidence that injecting glucosamine is any more effective for joint therapy than injecting, say, water.  I am not saying that it isn't, just that nobody has done any tests to show that it is.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)