RE: [RC] gastric banding and endurance - Jill Carr

Hello there-  I had a gastric bypass in 2004, and after losing 120 lbs, began endurance riding.  I ride about 1000 miles per year, and just finished my first 100, and believe that the surgery was a good decision for me.  I drink LOTS of water, and take protein bars, beef and turkey jerky, low sugar granola bars and electrolyte drink mix (H30 by Herbalife)  with me on a ride. I take LOTS of high quality  vitamins, and sub lingual B12.  I always have to be careful not to over eat, because it doesn’t take much to over-do it.  Especially on those lunch breaks where I might FEEL like eating a whole sandwich at a time, but it’ll cost me later down the trail. So like always, I eat small amounts of high proteins, & complex carbs and lots of water.  Which is good endurance riding practice anyway – my horse or  mule & I both kind-of just graze along whenever we get a chance on the trail.  Go ahead & email me with questions if you need to know anything else.

Jill

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mellifluous
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 7:17 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] gastric banding and endurance

Hey guys!

I was wondering if there are any of you out there that have undergone weight loss surgery, specifically gastric banding.  Does it affect you on endurance rides?  I am wondering if one could make it on a ride on nothing but protein shakes since it would be hard to get a large enough quantity of real food to keep you going.  Are there any other issues that could come up from being a banded endurance rider???

Thanks!

You live life beyond your PC. So now Windows goes beyond your PC. See how