[RC] Fort Valley on the "Nice Day" (Friday) - Part 2 - Flora Hillman

Continued from Part 1?..

?????..

What a gorgeous road this is ? perfect for a canter or a good road trot.
Riders began to spread out, and ?my guy started to become a bit of a
handful. After 9 years of riding endurance you would THINK he would not get
all ?involved in a tug of war over what speed we were going to agree upon.
Oh, no.? Not him.

Unfortunately, I was losing the argument because I had him only in a halter
and had completely forgotten to bring along his bit.? With nothing other
than my reins, and loudly voiced threats (totally ineffectual as brakes, I
might add) I finally threw the bight of the reins over his face just above
his noseband to create double pressure .? It worked!? He instantly backed
down, and my impromptu contraption drew several smiles as well as a comment
??that is SO clever!? from some passing riders.? It helped take the stress
off my arms because my reins were now loops, and it was far easier on my
back?and my temper.? Once the trail headed off the road back up the
mountainside to begin the route back to base camp and the 1st ?VC I was able
to dispense with the ?double brakes? and give him a bit more freedom for the
rest of the 18 miles.

The trail at the top of the Massanuttens heading back towards Milford Gap is
arguable the best and most scenic section -- a soft dirt path , not many
rocks, and stunning views. It was a joy to ride among the trees that were
just starting to color up. I was by myself, which is how both I and my pony
like to ride, yet, it took ?a few miles before I noticed there was a vast
silence in the trees around me that was a bit?well, unusual. My senses
sharpened and I began to listen, but heard not a peep from any wildlife.
Even the birds were silent and invisible?.as if they had already hunkered
down in advance of what was to come in less than 12 hours. ?It was very odd.

But at the moment I was enjoying the trail so much that I ignored the
unsettling silence, and happily trotted my pony the rest of the way,
eventually reaching Milford Gap as it headed into the VC. My guy was already
at 52 by the time we reached the In Timer, so it was straight into P&R, and
then through the vet check and back to our trailer to eat and rest until our
hold time was up. ??

I was about 6 minutes late getting to the Out Gate for Loop 2 because my guy
was still eating and I didn?t want to disturb him as this next loop was
about 20 miles long.? I made sure his saddle packs were stuffed full of
sliced carrots for him since he has a critical need to refuel enroute, and
packed an extra bit of chicken for myself in case I got hungry.

The 2nd Loop took us back up and over Milford Gap and then headed us back
down to the road alongside the river where ?we turned right (south) this
time. Once again we enjoyed some canters and cruising along, making time in
anticipation of having to walk the more difficult sections of trail yet to
come.? I met up with Ashley Kemerer at one point along the road and we fell
in together, enjoying each other?s company. Just before the road took a
sharp bend to the right, the trail dove off to the left into the woods,
leading us on a merry narrow-trail-bumper-car ride through the woods until
it paused at a hidden sandy enclave at the Shenandoah River. We stopped to
offer our thirsty horses a long refreshing drink. ?Just upstream a canoe
floated quietly in place as the two intent, but friendly fisherman sitting
within kept close attention to the two fishing lines that were held tight in
the deep grip of the river. Downstream a column of white smoke rose like a
beacon from a small yet earnest campfire at a busy campsite.? Our attention,
however, was riveted by what lay just across the river from us, reflected in
the crystal clear water. There the sheer rock face of ?the Golden Cliffs?
lifted straight up out of the deep waters like an ancient god, up and up and
up, far above our heads, displaying stunningly beautiful arching wave layers
of multiple geological strata, the brilliant artistic result of billions of
years of crust movement and shifting.? It is truly one of the most
awe-inspiring sights, and well worth the moments to pause and reflect.

Once the horses turned their interest from drinking to splashing, it was
time to be on our way again.? The trail shook the water off our heels and
then shrugged off the woods to ?dump us back on the road.? We crossed to the
other side and began to head up another path. This one would take us up over
the Massanutten on an ancient route that bypasses a ?prehistoric Native
American site that gave the trail it?s name ? Indian Graves.? Infamous for
being one of the most difficult of all trails in the Massanuttens, it starts
off gently, but then lives up to its reputation.

Once the path began to get steep I told Ashley to go on as I wanted to stop
and give my pony some of the grass growing alongside the trail. I knew the
effort at the top of the trail would be difficult and wanted my pony rested,
fed, and energy recharged. ?A few minutes later I remounted and followed the
trail as it snaked its way higher, ?each footfall being a steeper climb than
the last. I was heartily glad that I?d spent the last two months walking 4-5
miles a day to get myself trim and ?fit ? I needed to pull my own weight in
tailing up behind my pony on that very rocky climb. The trail became more
and more difficult until it turned into a rock slide of almost vertical
ascent.? You *have* to climb it. No options. ?It was exhilarating,
challenging, exciting, treacherous, difficult, and exhausting.?

And far too short!!? It was over almost before I knew it.? I felt great at
the top of the mountain ?-- all my ?weeks of fitness work had paid off, ?and
I glowed with pride at having been a partner to my pony in this climb, and
not a burden.

Happily, Hugh McDonald, the ride photographer, was at the top to get a great
shot of me and my pony as I tailed him up that massive boulder strewn path.
He showed it to me later at camp, and I can assure you that it will
absolutely be one that will join the others on my ?Endurance Wall of Fame?.

?.continued?..

?