[RC] Fort Valley on the "Nice Day" (Friday) - Part 3 - Flora Hillman

….continued – Page 3 …..

…………….

Reaching the crest was an anti-climax, and the way back home, while fairly rock strewn and slow, was easy enough.  Trotting along I kept thinking I was hearing a light sleet hissing in the leaves around me, but every time I stopped to listen closely, the sounds stopped as well.  The silence was really overpowering, and only the periodic noise of the cold breeze rustling the dead leaves was evident. For the first time that day I began to feel uneasy, and was now reluctant to stop enroute.  On the bad stretches of rock I dismounted and walked, pulling up grass for my guy doling out his stash of carrots. I did not stop at all, but kept moving as he munched and crunched his snacks over the miles.  We finally hit Milford Gap road and cruised the last mile at a spanking trot while we passed others walking in. We strolled into the 2nd vet check with a HR of 58.  Once vetted it was back to the trailer to rest and eat and wait for our out time.

During the hold, while my pony ate, I filled his saddle packs with fresh carrots, and started packing up my stuff to leave that night.  The sky had continued to look more dismal and more threatening by the moment.  I didn’t linger in camp, but was at the Out Timer within 30 seconds of my time.  I wasn’t about to waste precious moments in camp and run the risk of getting caught in bad weather out on the trail.

The final loop was on the valley floor incorporating  several lollipop loops that chriss-crossed one another several times. Bless the three volunteers – Bonnie, Roy, and John -- who manned the trail junctions to make sure everyone did the loops in order.  Roy warned me his trail was “difficult”, which I found to be somewhat of an understatement.  A portion took a side excursion into untracked rocky areas that  were downright sadistic, and made me wonder if the person that had laid them out had a grudge again horses and riders in general…or endurance riders in particular. Even my pony showed his displeasure by stopping in a snit at one point and moodily asking me to get off and lead him through the minefield of rocks in front of us.

But all was forgiven as we exited the final lollipop and the trail eased gently onto lovely private lanes with lots of yummy side grass to snack upon, and threaded through open fields complete with a clear deep stream to wade into for my pony to drink deep and long.  I laughed at the funny signs management had posted on one point of the trail warning of “spook ahead” for farm equipment hidden around a bend of the trail, and despite the lowering sky and ugly clouds we cruised with a big smile across the finish line as the 14th rider to finish, ending up in 13th place overall.

I made a quick check of the internet weather, which confirmed Saturday’s 50 would be under an all day downpour with high winds – not my favorite type of weather due to my ownership of a 2 wheel drive truck that will go out of its way to get stuck anywhere, anytime I any place even slightly damp. I could get out of the ridecamp under my own power now, but tomorrow would be a different story, and I hate getting towed.  A few minutes later Saturday’s lineup had one less rider, and I returned to finish my final packing in order to leave right after the dinner.

The Awards Dinner and presentation that night were a hoot. Great food, lots of people laughing and having a grand time.  Everyone was elated to find that 100% of the LD riders had finished!  Woohoo!!  And 25 out of the 29 50 milers had finished.  A great completion rate!

By the end of the awards there was a fine drizzle coming down.  Those leaving were relieved, those staying were resigned  at  what was to come.   I said goodbye to all my friends, wished those riding the next day “good luck” and tucked my truck’s nose right behind another rig that was part of the exodus to  “get out of Dodge” before the weather got bad.  In less than 2 hours I was home, my pony in a warm, dry stall with tons of food to scarf down, and me happily recounting to my hubby what a great ride this day had held.

Special  kudos to Claire Godwin and her cast and crews of wonderful volunteers for putting on such an outstanding ride, from start to finish! Fort Valley is always challenging and fun, and should be a must for anyone who wants to experience the beauty, serenity, and sheer adventure of endurance riding in the Massanuttens.

Flora Hillman