[RC] The Fort Valley Rain Dance (part 2) - steelsidedown

 Then the turn for Indian Grave, oh boy.  First trip up this monster for the young pony, I'm not sure he's mature enough to handle the task, checked all emergency exits!  >wink<   Well guys, no sugar coating, it was bad.  The rain had begun to flat out pour on us.  The lower steeper climb that is mostly dirt, was so slick the horses would slide each step forward they gained.  I used the emergency exit and tailed up to the rock.  Back on ponyboy, he's still motivated (read Napoleon complex still functioning as usual).  I'm the middle horse, following buddy from the first loop, and a new friend caught up with us during this loop.  The horse up front is a trooper, leaping two or three times up, then stopping for a breath.  This was a huge help to motivate my pony who was really waivering.  There was literally a 2" deep waterfall running down "the stairs", the noise was slightly scary, but the water flowing around his hooves and splashing up in his face really freaked him out.  He stopped and pondered a time or two, but just with verbal encouragement I was able to convince him not to back up, phew!  Just when I thought, I was in trouble, the horse behind me turned around and went to other way!  HOW did she do that?  There is NO room on this trail to turn around!  Off the rock and took the last upward turn back on dirt/rock mix, still a flowing waterfall.  All horses started taking turns trying to quit, who could blame them?  I start whooping to motivate little man (hey, it works), soon all three of us were whooping up the hill.  It worked!  Phew!

VC2 revealed battered, muddy, volunteers.  Ugh!  It seems several had taken turns inadvertatly sliding into the vet check.. no not the horses.. the volunteers!  Oops!  Still most are giggling, but noticably more wet and less animated.  Again, fret over soundness, pony fine, remove all soaked clothes, news dry ones on, pony stuffed full of food, and we drag back out, chanting only 12 miles to go!

Loop 3 was even better.  One small climb (I swear I heard the horses threaten to get even), lots of fun wooded zippy trails.  All the mud you could ask for!  >g<  Hey, if that's all we can find to complain about, it was a fabulous!  There were 3 spotters left in the woods to point us in the right direction.  Those poor soaked souls, how ever did someone talk them into that job!?!  His evilness is still trying to rip my arms from the sockets, so I figure fair is fair, he carried my butt up the mountain, he may as well enjoy cantering.  A few nice canters thru hay fields, one especially deep river crossing!  (This is were riding the pony does not pay off, sure its easy to get on/off, and everyone else gets the spider webs, but I was wet halfway up to my knees!)  Some not so appropriate canters we won't discuss in other places, but I'm happy he's pulling and seemingly getting stonger.  I couldn't wait for the ride to be over, but Henry's truck could be seen on the horizon, and the finish line seemed to come too soon.

Final vet check, went just as well as the previous.  I need to recheck my card, but I think we had all A's for the day!

My crew was kind enough to have everything packed when we got in.  His evilness got in a good roll, then into his nice dry trailer, stuffed full of goodies.  (We are only a three hour drive, he ate EVERYTHING by the time we got home!)  I changed again, officially filling an entire trash bag full of wet clothes!  And off while the getting is still good!  (aka before the mud gets any deeper!)

Huge thanks to all the wet muddy volunteers, management, and land owners!  The weather can never be controlled, but every other detail was carefully planned and carried out to keep us all safe, happy, and on trail!  :-)

Congrats to everyone that finished on Saturday, that really was an ENDURANCE ride!

Finally warm and dry,
Jen