Re: [RC] gastric banding and endurance - Lynelle Robertson

Well, that's me 8 years ago I had gastric bi-pass and lost 176lbs. Best thing I ever did. Mine is permanent. I don't think the banding is a good idea more medical issues in my opinion. Plus it has to be a life style change. I am a newbie have only done one ride Mt Diablo in 104 degree I lost 11lbs that day. It is hard when your stomach is only about 3-5 oz in size. So you must drink and eat more often and chew your food a lot more(which I might add is good for all) I take dried fruit and nuts or protein bars no refined sugar as you get what is called the "Dumping syndrome" You do not want to go there on a ride trust me. Pick the most experienced Dr in the field and go for it. I had no ill side effects as long as you follow the Dr's instructions. If you can't suck it through a straw for the first 3 mos don't eat it. The only small down size is vitamin deficiency. Iron is very hard to absorb so I use liquid iron and lots of mulit vitamins chewable (Flintstones LOL) If you have any other questions please feel free to email me. Also my medical ins paid for it in full as it saves them monies in the long run on many future medical problems.

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, Mellifluous <brio_gal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Mellifluous <brio_gal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] gastric banding and endurance
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, October 24, 2008, 7:16 AM

Hey guys!

I was wondering if there are any of you out there that have undergone weight loss surgery, specifically gastric banding.  Does it affect you on endurance rides?  I am wondering if one could make it on a ride on nothing but protein shakes since it would be hard to get a large enough quantity of real food to keep you going.  Are there any other issues that could come up from being a banded endurance rider???

Thanks!

You live life beyond your PC. So now Windows goes beyond your PC. See how