RE: [RC] Scratches solutions/causes - Adamsch

I have been enjoying learning more about scratches as I have an older horse that gets them and occasionally my younger ones.

They are very common in this part of Virginia. Some things I have learned is: White legs are much more susceptible! Don't know why so if you do, please tell me. But it is NOT coincidence as I have noted it over and over. Unfortunately, all my horses have white legs, but the older one, definitely has more issues with it. Age? if related to an immune system issue? Don't know why.

There are many treatments many of which have been already mentioned but one of the most important things that I have learned and not heard mentioned yet is keeping their legs dry. If I put in the horses at night so they are not in dew/grass/etc. they (scratches) stay at bay. I also wonder if they are on the "edge" of a breakout (which I do believe it is a fungus/bacteria type issue) if that is not encouraged by the change of environment with a ride. It is a dilemma for me because I like my horses out 24/7. So we are compromising and getting a run in shelter (my barn is not accessible to the pasture) with a larger corral around it that will have no grass to hold the dew at night and keep their legs wet. This along with an occasional bath in a shampoo that I have added iodine to keep them away, if I am diligent. When I start getting lazy and leaving them out, that is when we get them. Also, if it rains, I keep them in more, especially if he has a breakout at the time.

A note on weather, I don't seem to have an issue in winter, which if it is a fungus/bacterial type issue makes sense that it would not be encouraged to grow in the cold.

At the Ivanhoe ride, I met Theresa Johnson from NC and she told me about KetoChlor (by virbac animal health) that you have to get from a vet and she said it works better than anything she has found. I did order some, and have a breakout right now and it does seem to be working very quickly.

hope this helps,

faith

To repeat - For me, keeping them dry has been the best prevention/treatment.