[RC] NC 100 2008, Part 2 of 4 - April

Continued from Part 1

After vetting in, we evaluated where we were and our time. Our next
loop was 13.5 miles back to base camp. We would arrive there after
dark. I knew that this loop was not glow-sticked, but I wasn't
worried. Joe and I both had headlamps and I knew the trail very well.
I told Joe to tell management not to bother with trying to get out to
glow-stick any part of this loop. We'd get there ok.

Tanna was beginning to eat well at this check. I ate some potato salad
and drank some protein drink. I had no idea at this check what I had
planned to eat.

Dr. Otis and Becky hung out with us, waiting for our hold to be over.
I was surprised to see Ron Chapman still in the check, too. I hoped he
hadn't been pulled. He hadn't. His out time was 18 minutes before
ours.

When we left the check, everybody else left, too. Back to camp we
went. This loop wasn't very exciting or memorable. While headed down a
long stretch of pavement, we commented on the many long skid marks we
saw and kept our horses to a slow trot or a walk to make sure we
didn't add any skid marks. Back on dirt trail, we trotted and even did
a bit of cantering where we could. On the hills, Joe dismounted to
walk and I passed him a backpack I wore that held alfalfa hay. Joe
would hand-feed the horses while stopped for a breather. Those hills
are tough stuff!! I silently thanked my Tanna for carrying me up them.
I definitely had the easiest job on the hills. Just sit there and be a
cheering section for the other three (Joe, Kit and Tanna).

We made it back to camp by 7:45 in the dark. I had no trouble finding
the trail and keeping us on the right track. No anxiety from riding in
the dark. I had a very nice headlamp that Daniel picked out and then
attached firmly to my helmet.

Tanna vetted in fine and began eating everything he could reach. The
only thing he wasn't allowed to eat was Kit's mash. Until Tamra gave
him that, too. ;-) Kit preferred Tanna's. Joe and I had both been
worried that the horses would quit at this point. They had done almost
65 miles and were back in camp. Tanna showed no sign of quitting. I
didn't hear Joe mention anything about Kit quitting either.

I was freezing at this check and added a sweatshirt, a skull cap under
my helmet and some SSG Wind Stopper Riding Gloves I'd purchased from a
vendor on-site. I know, don't use stuff at a ride that you haven't
used in training. But my hands were numb. My regular gloves are SSG,
so I figured I'd be ok and I was. I was SO grateful for those
gloves!!!! I ate next to nothing at this check. About 5 minutes before
time to tack up, Tamra mentioned there was hot soup around somewhere
for me. I said I'd wait till next check to eat it.

Out on trail again. This 5th loop I'd been looking forward to all day.
It was a 15.5 mile out and back loop along the ridge. No hills to
speak of and time to move out some, even in the dark. My plan (and
thus our plan as Joe was strangely agreeable to my plans all day long)
was to keep to an 8 mph trot and go steady the whole loop. I hoped to
come off that loop with a 7 mph average, allowing for some time to
stop for grass/water, etc.

We fell into a steady rhythm with the horses. Kit has a bigger trot
than Tanna, so often would move up along-side and then pass slightly.
Still along side, but ahead. Tanna would begin to fight to speed up,
but I would back him off. Kit and Joe would slow, also, Joe sometimes
moving Kit back directly behind Tanna to slow him down.

At some point, we caught up with Ron and he fell into line behind us.
We had a comfortable silence as we all concentrated on our horses and
our own thoughts.

During one of the times that Kit pulled ahead, I pulled Tanna back to
a reasonable trot and Kit and Joe just motored on ahead. Tanna got mad
and I was unwilling to break my plan to stay with Kit and Joe, so just
slowed to a walk. I let Ron go around me, then picked up the steady 8
mph trot again, with my fussing, mad horse. After all, the last one in
the dark is the one that gets eaten, right? I was pleased that he
still had the umph to fuss and fight at 70+ miles, though. ;-)

After several minutes, I caught back up with Joe and Ron walking. Joe
commented, "I suddenly looked around and no one was there!" He'd been
in his own little world and hadn't realized he'd left us. Hehe. We
tucked back into line, Tanna, Kit and Barukah and continued on to the
turn-around spot. Here we paused for various issues and I headed back
toward camp at a walk to give the guys a chance to take care of
business.

I was worried about getting grass for Tanna on this loop. Often on
trail, I will scout out good places for Tanna to grab a bite and send
him to those spots. But in the dark, with my headlamp, I couldn't tell
what was good grass and what wasn't!! I kept getting it wrong and was
getting frustrated.

As the loop progressed, I became aware that Tanna need to pee. He just
wouldn't do it. When we reached the water buckets out on trail, we all
paused and let the horses drink. Also, praise God, there was a good
bit of grass for the horses to munch on. I hoped Tanna would pee
there, but he decided to be shy. I sent the guys on ahead and
carefully dismounted. Tanna will generally pee when I do and this time
was no exception. It took a bit of doing to get Tanna situated on a
downhill and to stay still while I carefully mounted. I had to
reposition him several times before he figured out I could not get on
until he stayed put.

I caught back up with the guys and we headed back into camp at 10 till
11. This loop had taken a little longer than I'd planned, but we were
still doing well. We were at 80 miles. Only the 2 10 mile loops left
to go and plenty of time to get those done before the cut off at 7 AM.

After following Tanna through the vet line, I sat down back at our vet
area. I pulled off my shoe and brace as normal and propped my leg up.
I became aware that I didn't feel well at all. I was suddenly very
nauseas, light-headed and my stomach and abdomen (both) began
cramping. I felt horrible. I was also freezing. I had no idea what to
do to make it better. Die, maybe?

As soon as Tamra became aware of what was going on, she heaped
blankets over my head and passed me saltines and ginger ale. Our out
time was 11:36, but I would not make that, if I made it at all. Tamra
assured me that was ok. We could go out 30 minutes late and still have
plenty of time to finish.

Finish? Ride a horse? I could hardly walk (and not just from the leg
pain) and just wanted to sleep. I alternately dozed and continued to
force saltines and ginger ale down my throat. Finally, I realized I
had to try it. I couldn't Rider Option out of this yet. I had to go
out and try to do one more loop. If I couldn't ride, I could come back
and go to sleep. But I had to try. Had to. So I gave the word and the
horses were resaddled. Joe had waited through with me rather than go
out with Ron on time. Tanna had taken full advantage of the extra time
to eat. Daniel, Tamra and at least one more person helped me get on
Tanna who patiently waited for me to get on. We left out just after
midnight.

Joe opted to walk Kit until we reached the short stretch of pavement.
I couldn't believe the pain that shot through my body as it protested
being bounced around on the saddle. I struggled to sit upright and
properly and not impede Tanna. I knew that after my muscles warmed up,
they would be more pliable and wouldn't hurt as much. Joe mounted and
we walked to the trail. We walked a little further and I asked Tanna
to pick up a slow trot. I gritted my teeth as the pain intensified,
but after a mile or two, my muscles did warm up and the pain returned
to a "normal" level with just my leg hurting the most. Amazingly
enough, the nausea and light-headedness disappeared while on
horseback. I felt pretty good, although very sleepy. We walked and
trotted and caught up with Ron. When he pulled off trail to take care
of something, Joe and I just kept moving. I didn't want to prolong
this ride any longer than necessary and Tanna was doing well. Joe kept
backing off and I didn't quite understand what was going on. I sang
some on this loop. Quietly to my horse. Sorry, Joe. ;-) Maybe that's
what kept him backing off!

We moved out when we could, but kept a relaxed pace. I kept looking
for grass for the horses to eat. When I did find some, Kit would often
only take a bite or refuse altogether. That was worrisome, but we kept
moving on. We passed Nancy waiting at the finish line. Once more
around and we would be done!!

We came into the vet check around 1:45 AM. There was only a 30 minute
hold for this check and the saddles did not have to be off for the
vets to look at the horses. I dismounted at the in-timers and stumbled
off toward a porta potty while Daniel took Tanna directly to the pulse
in and vets. Amy Whelan graciously ignored my protests and made sure I
made it to the porta potty without falling down, then to my vet check
area. I collapsed in my chair, sick again. Amazing how I wasn't sick
on the horse, but completely helpless on the ground. Tamra again
heaped blankets over me and gave me ginger ale and saltines.

We left out of the vet check only about 5 minutes late this time. The
last loop is a bit of a blur. I had the adjustment period of letting
my muscles warm up again and again the nausea abated while on
horseback. Thank God for that. Otherwise, I don't think I could have
made it. Finally, not too long before the finish, it occurred to me
that Joe kept dropping back to use his headlamp so Kit could see
better. Duh!!! I assured him the light did not bother me and to just
leave it on when he was near me. Took me a good long time to catch on
to that one.

I was SO happy to see the finish line!!! Nancy was there! What a
lovely sight! Daniel and Tamra were also there with hay for the horses
and to take our vet cards. I asked Tanna to canter the last few steps
across the finish line as is our custom. We walked back into camp,
although Eric Reuter was out there with Nancy and graciously offered
to drive me back to camp. I declined and chose to ride my trusty steed
back into camp.

Back at camp for one last trot out. I determinedly followed Tanna to
the vet and was pleased to see Dr. Ken Marcella. He has been there for
many of our accomplishments and it was fitting that he be the one to
do Tanna's final check of the ride. Even before he did the official
check, Dr. Ken commented that Joe and I both had 100 mile horses! Sure
enough, a final check and a final trot out resulted in good grades and
a completion!! We had done it!!!

Forty-five minutes after crossing the finish line, Tanna was safely in
his corral with his winter coat on, munching on hay and his breakfast
and sleeping. I tried to get my blackberry to send out a blog post,
but gave up when the service would not come in. I snuggled under many
blankets in my sweats and went to sleep.

To be Continued...

April
Nashville, TN
http://endurancerider.blogspot.com

--
"Winners never stop short." -- Cardio Coach Sean O'Malley