Re: [RC] Hard Headed Horses / Giving In to Effort - Michelle Aquilino

I will repeat that every horse is different, and needs something different to get them to "cooperate"...  But I thought I'd mention, upon the discussion of releasing pressure / tension when the horse gives effort...  When I was working with my horse yesterday, the few times she was like "whoa, wait, I don't want to do this", and backed up, I gave pressure and was "upset" only until she stopped.  As soon as she stopped and calmed down, essentially on her own (as I wasn't pulling / constant tension, was simply giving repeated short little yanks), I gave her a second to think, stand there, relax, and then I asked her to move forward.  I've seen her become a lunatic, so for me, her stopping and giving me her calm attention, that's effort. Then when I ask her to move forward, a step (or even a lean) is an effort.  Even with these small requests, no tugging, and rewarding her for stopping after backing up 5-10 feet, she self-loaded (eventually) the once immediately after coming out of the field, and the once before being turned back out (my routine I want to get her into is loading upon coming out of the field, and loading after our "work", whether that be a friendly graze and groom or a full ride).  And I was at the barn for a mere short hour.  I know for a fact that if I had been tugging on her, and yelling, and smacking with the "friendly" stick, I would have been there PLENTY longer, lol.  Hopefully lots of work this way, and eventually work with even closing her into the trailer ;-), she'll fall into the routine, and I'll see some of you at endurance rides in the spring!!!  One step / day at a time...

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"