[RC] re: National Championship (mike's comments) - Cindy Collins

Mike says, "This year an overall winner is recognized in additional to the normal weight division champions."

Mike, I'm thrilled to hear this.  Does this mean that Valerie and Ali will be listed in the AERC Yearbook as THE 2008 AERC National Champion horse and rider????  I assume not.  That's what I mean, though.

Also, I am well aware that Susan could not make a living off of the ROC, plus run it and pay her bills.  However, hopefully no one in the AERC will try to make a living off a single ride and so many of us have always wished the AERC would put on a ROC type event with all of the hype, prestige, awards, etc. of the ROC.  As numerous riders have said, that was the last time folks were really excited about an event and were willing to complete up to 5 one day 100s in a year just to qualify.  It was magical.

This whole thread was about getting more people to do 100s.  It is NOT meant to insult folks in this event.  Obviously, it's a first class event and there are some top competitors there.  It just hasn't had the effect on the membership that the ROC did and hasn't increased the interest in and participation in 100s dramatically like the ROC did.
Cindy