[RC] National championships - Michael Maul

In response to:"Some of us think the AERC has encouraged it by holding 50 mile championships and LD championships as part of our National Championship. Some of us think an endurance AERC national champion should ONLY be a 100 miler and it should be overall, not divisions. "

I'm at the National Championships now in Indiana and think the post above needs a little clarification.

There is *no* National LD championship but there is a National Championship for 50 and 100 mile rides. This year an overall winner is recognized in additional to the normal weight division champions.

There is an LD award for the top three seniors and top three juniors for total miles. It has nothing to do with placing in the LD ride. There is no reward in this for speed or placing or time.
It simply says - first or last - these are the teams that have done the most LD miles together.

Looking at the teams that have done the most LD miles together each year shows that these riders don't show up in the next year. That implies that they are not career LD riders trying to win this year after year as you see in the endurance awards.

There is a national 100 mile award for seniors and juniors. There is no national 50 mile award. There are regional points awards where both 50 mile and 100 mile points are combined. In this the 100 mile riders have a significant advantage over riders doing a shorter distance. A first place wt division in a 100 mile ride gets 3 times the points that a first place rider receives in a 50 mile ride.

There is a national BC award for endurance but none for LD. There is a regional BC award though.

My point is that AERC recognizes that 100 mile rides are the foundation of our sport and has tried to provide incentives for riders to participate. On the other hand - 1/3 of our entries are from LD riders and recognition for these members is important too.

Mike