Re: [RC] re: 100 milers are disappearing - LSimoni197

Cindy,

Right on!  May I add to your thoughts?
That "Race of Champions" had my Daughter and I trying to get our 5 qualifying 100's.
Got excited when it almost happened again, wanted to get a horse qualified so my Son could do it.
That race meant a lot to endurance.  So very much promotion.  And the line, "Ride with the Big Dogs".
Race of Champions, was a race.  Tevis is a race.
Tevis still has the glamour, with the special buckle, and the list of finishers.  And we wait at the finish line, in the dark, to see who wins!
FEI events are races, but what an elite club that is, with all the extra expense.
Since then,  AERC has bent over backwards for the beginner, the 25 miler.
There have even been suggestions to take the "Race" out of endurance, and just call it a "Ride".
Now watch me put my neck in a sling;  There is much more risk for the horse on a 100 mile ride.  AERC has turned more into a "protect the horse" organization, than a "promote the stressful 100 mile ride" organization.
Don't you think that that message gets through to the membership?  Being pulled has become shameful.  So, why move on up to a 100, it may be too much for your horse, and you might get pulled.
100's have become the ride of the elite.  Average riders and horses are not encouraged.  Remember how many more riders there were before heart monitors, or GPS or the other hi-tech devices.  Now the rider needs an expensive trailer with living quarters.
Perhaps the pull criteria is daunting to many riders.  I rode lots of hours on Arabs, a 60 pulse when AERC went to it, was easy.  My friend who rode an Appy had such a struggle.
So, what I am saying is, AERC has narrowed the playing field.
Where is the promotion now for 100 mile rides? There is more warning "be sure you and your horse are ready"
OK, how do we bring it back?
 What about a patch system, stripes, or something to earn with each completed 100 mile ride.
Make them special, not just expensive. Tevis gives a special 10 year buckle.  Many people with 7-8 or 9 buckles have struggled to find another good horse to get to that tenth buckle.
Oh, this may not be a good idea, but AERC could give a title to the rider who completes 10  100 mile rides.  Not exactly "Dr. of Endurance" but something like that.

Boy, I am on a rip; I like the old year books, which just kept adding horses.  Now some old horses are deleted. Please just keep making the book fatter.

Enough, I think I will turn off my computer so I will not be flamed.    Lynge