[RC] San Diego north update - Nancy Reed

The BIG winds began their relentless assault about at about 9 am here in Elfin Forest.  They were barreling down the San Elijo Canyon to the ocean via the San Elijo Lagoon in Cardiff-by-the-Sea. The NOAA site tells me the wind gusts were up to 45 mph.  I believe it as they shredded the hand sized leaves off my perennial sunflower bush that was in full bloom and was over 6 feet high.  I just hope it can survive this deadly combo of wind and no humidity.  At the barn the aloe’s are so stressed their soft, fleshy leaves were curling under.

All 3 cats are still very angry at me as they are my house prisoners.  The two 6 month old kittens kept keeping busy practicing mouse hunting skills on each other.  Meanwhile Adam the surrogate father went from door to door and window to window determined to find a way out.  Sorry guys, you are not allowed out until the wind is gone.

The dogs spent most of the morning out in the dog run getting pummeled by the wind.  Zak (short for Prozac. That is a whole story in itself) our yellow Lab has been patiently babysitting Zolo (yep, short for Zoloft) a 1 year old black Lab rescue who has been visiting for several days.  Zolo has been learning about horses (that black dude w/ 4 legs that end in these weird hard things is really mean!) and cats (oh, that Big grey guy makes that black dude look nice!), creeks, sticks and now the Santa Ana winds.  He needs a permanent home (anyone interested?).

The horses were turned out earlier, but I brought them back in when the wind picked up.  They all have fly masks on and lead ropes and halters on their gates, full water and hay buckets.  All 5 are rather nonchalant about this wind storm.    Which is in direct contrast to my hyper- vigilance.

Good thing I checked the RV, the battery was dead, dead, dead!!!  That would have been a major problem if we did have to evacuate in a hurry as the trailer is hooked up and ready to go.  So the “trickle charger” is fast at work injecting life back into the battery.

It is now 1 pm and the wind has stopped but it is still dry as it can get.  So far so good, here in the enchanted valley of Elves and equines.  Prayers go out for our continued good fortune and the end of these devil winds in LA and all of southern California

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, CA