Re: [RC] New Incentive - Crysta Turnage

I have to fully agree with Dot's statement here:  "I have to differ a bit with Bruce's chart for getting ready for 100s.  I've known a number of horses that never finished a 50 better than mid-pack that successfully completed 100s.  It's not speed conditioning, but tough miles and long hours that make 100 mile horses.   And once they are up for the distance rest is as important as riding."

I think that many people feel they have to have a fast and/or competitive horse in order to complete in 100-mile rides.  THAT IS NOT TRUE.  Most any horse that has good metabolics, knows how to take care of themselves on the trail, and is very sound physically (and doesn't pound themselves or their rider too much), should be capable of completing a 100.  I'm VERY proud to have a little non-Arab mutt-cross of some sort, that several different people have claimed "looks like a mini Clydesdale", that was a successful 100-mile horse.  Sinatra finished 4 100's, 3 of which were in 2007 alone, including Tevis.  His MAX trot speed was about 8 mph.  We never did a 50 faster than about 7:30.  But he knew his job, and he knew how to get it done.  Having to retire him, just coming into his prime, this year due to cancer has been VERY hard.

I have a new 4 year old coming up.  My focus with him is to do a 100 in about 5 years (when he's 8).  That was my focus with Sinatra as well when I first started this sport, to complete a 100, and hopefully to complete Tevis.  I was beyond happy to achieve those goals.  I think having that mindset and focus all along the way was a tremendous motivation and help.

We have a discussion list specifically dedicated to 100-mile riders, especially those that are wanting to try their first 100.  We haven't had too many people going for their first one lately, so things have been kind of quiet, but we'd love to have more newbies and more questions for those that are thinking about moving up to the longer distance.  We've had 11 or 12 members of that list that have completed their first 100 since joining, and a few that joined right after finishing their first or second.  There are some REALLY experienced members on there as well that graciously share their knowledge with those of us that are still getting the kinks worked out.

~ Crysta