Re: [RC] OT: wet goats - Lynn Kinsky

On Oct 3, 2008, at 4:12 PM, jamie ward wrote:

A friend of mine just got a few Nubian goats and because she knows little about them she got a book on goats. soo When I called her today she mentioned how unhappy they were all penned up. but she could not let them out with all the rain. I asked what she meant and she said the book she read said not to let goats get wet because they were very susceptible to pneumonia. I had never heard of that. I told her I would ask around. I always though goats were very hardy....
Thanks

My 5 goats (nubian/alpine crosses) lived in the same corral and/or barn and arena area with the horses, and they got wet during the winter rains. They seemed more inclined to go under shelter than the horses (shelter often being a horse body <g>), but they weren't fragile flowers. I don't recall any illnesses, they were good milkers, and they all lived into their early teens. Found a good article on pneumonia: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0091/UNP-0091.pdf).

If the weather is cold and the rain might chill them, there are goat blankets that one can get.

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
ranch: http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/