Wound care ideas Re: [RC] An unusual case - very thin skin - Elizabeth Chase

I have a three rat test.....

My Akhal Teke mare has butter soft skin that seems as tender as either a baby
or a very elderly person. She gets lots of scrapes that clear up easily.

I had a TB mare rescue that went through a fence and tore the bejesus out of
her leg and chest. Her skin was pretty thin to begin with, even before getting
hurt, but after three months of 'my' wound care showed no scarring, and the
hair even grew back.

TB gelding that regularly forgets to watch where he's going. He is chock-full
of scars from his former life, and seems to form them easily, regardless of
what I do. Then again, he is 18, and all of us old folks are less supple.

And lots of experience with wound care and burns on humans.

I think what you need first is resiliency of tissue in that area, and NO EXTRA
MOVEMENT (just his normal day to day in the pasture activity), NO SADDLING. I
know that's hard, but it's ultimately the shorter road.  I like to take my
horses for walks like I take my dogs for walks.... lots of fun.

By resiliency I mean the skin has the flexibility to move without cracking. You
need that before you can get 'tough'. I guess the word I'm searching for is
'supple'.

I used a homeopathic remedy on the horses that included medical honey, comfrey
root, st. John's wort, and vitamin E ointment until the actual wound healed
(from the inside out, sometimes rwquires packing). Then I make a concoction
minus the honey and use it as a skin emollient until the hair returns (my
experience).

In humans we have a bunch of detailed wound cares until the skin starts to
granulate, but once the base layer grows back in, which includes skin grafts,
we use emollients/ointments like bacitracin, and encourage patients to use
emollients like cocoa butter and Vit E ointments to keep the skin supple.

This is also a factor in helping the reduction of keloid (scar) tissue.

Hope you find something useful in my ramblings.

LizC
Minn