RE: [RC] Newbie with a Concern - Karen Standefer

I spent winter of 06-07 in Texas and I noticed the same thing when I went to a Texas ride.  Several of the horses could have been SPCA poster children as skinny as they were.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Carrie Kitley
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:34 AM
To: Janeene
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Newbie with a Concern

Welcome to the group, Janeene.  Good to have you!

One thing that has to be considered is that the majority of horses ridden in endurance are Arabs.  Often, Arabs tend to look lean in general.  I have a Polish bred mare that is just built on the slight side.  I beef up the fat in her diet, especially before e-rides but she can lose some weight even during one ride.  She has high withers, a prominent spine and hip bones that stick out.  However, she is of average weight for an Arab and she is fed VERY well and is a good eater.  I think sometimes people tend to compare Arab's conformation to that of Quarter horses or other beefier breeds when this isn't a fair comparison.

The only other thing I can say is that maybe there are people in TX who aren't feeding properly or hay is different, you may have noticed something that definitely IS an issue. Without seeing, I can't really say.  And you're right about likening endurance horses to marathon runners, but that is precisely why we have to stay on top of the proper feeding and supplementing of these horses, because they work much harder than the average horse.  Just my 2 cents.  Keep an eye on that though, you might want to point it out to a ride vet there and see what they have to say.  I'm sure if it is a big issue, they will take notice.

~Carrie  <\_~
              // \\

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."

~ Old Arabian Proverb