Re: [RC] [RC] [Consider This] Basic Horse Care - Avoid Bute When Possible - Genevieve

Hm, interesting. I used to take care of a mare who was severely laminitic (I personally thought she should have been put down a long time ago but alas, it was not my decision to make) and had been given a daily dose of Bute for years. She never showed signs of any of those side affects discussed in the article. I can't remember exactly how much we gave her but I remember having to break a Bute pill in half and grinding one half up to put in her grain. It was probably a fairly small dose, not really enough to be considered an excess amount. Other than being laminitic she was fairly healthy, a good weight, and was only in her mid teens.

Only a couple weeks before I left the ranch her owner was finally considering letting her go but I was gone before I saw what ended up happening to her. I hope her owner made the right decision in the end.

Her owner was a very experienced horsewoman and certainly knew what she was doing so I doubt she would have given the mare more Bute than her body could handle.