[RC] Hidalgo mustang herd need help. - Heidi Vanderbilt

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 23, 2008 3:06:44 PM MST
Subject: Fwd: [sabino_arabians] FW: Mustangs

more and more....pass along, please.
?

From: cambriasw@xxxxxxxxx
To: mandigold@xxxxxxx
Sent: 1/23/2008 3:30:08 P.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: Fwd: [sabino_arabians] FW: Mustangs
?

--
Conversation: Mustangs
Subject: Mustangs

1.
URGENT!! Help needed in rescuing Spanish Colonial Horses/Spanish Mu

Posted by: "blrystrom@aol.com" blrystrom@aol.com blrystrom

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:42 pm (PST)

URGENT!

Help needed in rescuing horses. Oklahoma Land and Timber Company (formerly
Mississippi Land and Timber) has without warning terminated the grazing
leases on Blackjack Mountain near Finley, Oklahoma. These Spanish Mustangs have
to be removed by February 29, 2008. The problem is that the company (which
has recently purchased the land) had previously agreed to extend the leases
(contract in writing) and has since broken their word. Unfortunately, they not
only canceled the lease without notice but they have ALREADY begun spraying
the one and a half million acres with chemicals in order to kill the ground
vegetation and sterilize the land for the next two years (except for the timber
company's pine seedlings). These straight Spanish Mustangs (Spanish
Colonials) are eligible for registration with the Southwest Spanish Mustang
Association and probably with the HOA (Horse of the Americas). Included in the large
number of horses is a small number of purebred Choctaw and Cherokee Indian
Ponies. As such, there are less than 200 of these living legacies of the
"Trail of Tears" remaining in the world. Also it should be noted that this is
the herd that Frank Hopkins's Hidalgo was released into at the end of both the
movie Hidalgo and in real life. These horses are also the legacy of the late
Gilbert Jones' preservation activities. Can we let this rare resource and
piece of our National heritage perish? I surely hope not. If you are
interested in knowing more about this situation, please contact, Bryant Rickman at
580-743-1991.

As a side note, David and I were at Bryant's ranch and at the Gilbert Jones'
Medicine Springs Ranch this weekend. There are approximately 150 horses
needing to be removed from the mountain. Unfortunately, Rickman was not able to
obtain an exact number due to the horses being deeply spooked and scared by
the helicopter and planes dropping the herbicides. As such, there is also
deep worry concerning the safety of the chemicals which has now contaminated
the horses' water and food resources. Needless to say, the situation is dire.
If you cannot reach Bryant, please feel free to call David or I at
479-696-9677 and we can relay the messages to Bryant.

Jane Howard, MD, STM6781 Berean RoadMartinsville, IN 46151(765)528-2528Queen Mum Red Hats and Purple Chapswww.redhatsandpurplechaps.com

Heidi Vanderbilt
LuckyPup Ranch
12000 S Wrong Mountain Road