Re: [RC] [RC] [Consider This] Antibodies to WNV Common in ArabEmirate Horses - Jan 18 2008 - Truman Prevatt

Well duh! - they found the same thing in Florida when it first hit here several years ago. Many horses that had not been vaccinated were tested and showed titer but had not shown any clinical signs and were doing just fine. This is old news. I had one of the vets from UF that participated in the study (he also vets endurance rides) comment to me - the most effective WN vaccine is the mosquito.

Truman

Maryanne Gabbani wrote:
Well, duh! We've had WNV here since 1930's and most of us would test positive for antibodies. Sometimes I wonder how someone like me living in a research backwater and just paying attention to the net can have a better idea of what's going on that the researchers. USA WNV comes from Israeli geese and is not the same strain as we have in the real live Nile. No one here is willing to innoculate because we don't want to introduce another tougher strain of it.

Maryanne