[RC] World Future Energy Summit (OT!!) - Steph Teeter

John and I are at the WFES summit this week (he got us both Endurance.Net press passes :) Lots of world leaders, and industry giants are here.

The summit is being promoted/sponsored by Masdar Development - an Abu Dhabi project to build the world's first 'green' city:
"Masdar's mission is to create a prototypical and sustainable city where residents and commuters live the highest quality of life with the lowest environmental footprint. " basically zero carbon, zero waste

Keynote speeches this morning by HH General Sh Mohammad bin Zayed Al Nahyan (crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces). (they're really into titles here :)
Also HRH Prince Charles of Wales - although he was just a hologram - it was so realistic I didn't even notice until he did his vanishing act. although... I did seem to notice that his hand would disappear sometimes. HRH Duke of York, President of Iceland, President of Djibouti, Pres. of the Maldives... it was really a kick!

Three days of talks and trade shows - solar and wind power, bio fuels, water desalination. John is here because he's working with some folks from Portland, spin-offs from automotive industry - electric hybrid cars - and they are trying to develop/market an electric car. Pretty interesting stuff.

It's not exactly endurance - but we'll have some fun photos to post of important people in the act of embracing a very important time in our history (time to take care of our planet).

Steph

Steph