[RC] beaten barefoot subject - sherman

I’d just like to throw out the possibility that very low grade laminitis may be a contributing factor in horses like this. There are some horses that would see improved hoof health and body weight if they lived in a dry lot, no green grass, and with low sugar hay and feed. OTOH, it seems to be common knowledge that strong healthy hooves have been bred out of many lines of QHs and many of them have soles so very thin that they are uncomfortable even on soft footing without shoes and pads.

Kathy

sbolinge said:

I recently got a quarter horse eight year old who has
been shod all his life...literally, even all through the winter.
I pulled his shoes about 3 months ago and even with
boots on he was sore to ride and definitely sore walking
around in the pasture.
...I expect it to take about two years before he will be
absolutely comfortable in the pasture and for short rides,
without boots or anything else.