[RC] Fw: GWJ National Forest wilderness meetings Sept 11 and 13 - Adamsch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane Adams" <dadams@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Adamsch" <adamsch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: GWJ National Forest wilderness meetings Sept 11 and 13

Faith,

Good to hear from you again. I haven't gotten down your way for some time; got 6 new horses in the past two years, so have been busy riding them up here in the Lee District and in Monongahela NF in WV.

I would appreciate it if you could go to the meeting in Bridgewater as we cannot go--have a 3PM meeting in DC so there is no way to get to Bridgewater in time. It really doesn't matter if you are up to date on issues; and the meeting is a good way to learn a lot in a short amount of time. This is a working meeting, so you will get to talk with FS people and other users.

I am trying to get others to the Bridgewater meeting, but it is short notice as I was not aware of it until a bike touring company alerted me. The way I see it, and the way a lot of us see it is that wilderness areas cost more to administer for the forest service (their numbers, not mine) and benefit a smaller user population. The FS has allowed trails to deteriorate in wilderness areas to the point that they are unusable for horse traffic and that was never the intent of the wilderness act. Do a google search on the Ramsey's Draft Trail and you will see that what used to be a nice walk is now a crawl through. And blaming the storm in the fall of 1985 is nonsense. Yes, the storm washed away the old road bed, but the real reason is the Ramsey's Draft Wilderness area.

<http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/northriver/recreation/wilderness/index.shtml> You will note that there is no horse symbol on the page--to my knowledge horses are not prohibited anywhere in the Ramsey's Draft wilderness area, but on page <http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/northriver/recreation/horses/index.shtml> the reference to map 791 (which means national geographic trails illustrated map 791) the column which should be labeled "suggested use" is mistakenly labeled "permitted use". I bring up the Ramsey's Draft wilderness area simply because it is in the North River District and the meeting in Bridgewater is in the North River District also. You can read a description of the Ramsey's Draft Trail at <http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/hiking/wb/xp-43063>. The wilderness area has existed since the fall of 1984.

Little things like this are why horse users should always attend these meetings, so if you can go to the Bridgewater meeting, please do and when you sign in make it clear that you are a horseback rider even if there is no place on the sign-in sheet for that information.

Take care,
Diane Adams