[RC] Owyhee Canyonlands update - Steph Teeter

The trails are almost marked! only 100 miles to go:) I spent all day yesterday on one of the more remote trails (Castle Creek Canyon) - we only use it once a year and there's always a lot of work to do clear the trail through the canyon and creek crossings. A beaver has chosen one of our crossings as the location of a nice little dam complex, and I spent a couple hours 'adusting' the water level of one of his ponds so we could get across. (he still has plenty of beaver pond left). I'd never spent time before studying a beaver dam, but it was pretty amazing. A pick-up-stix pile of twigs and branches inserted at all different angles, plus stones and large gravels, and leaves - and the creek bed had actually been ramped up against the dam, so he must have been digging and pushing dirt and gravel with his little paddle feet in addition to piling sticks and stones. Lots of willows to work with, and our trail from last year was completely overgrown.

I think this is one of the biggest reasons I love managing rides - the days of covering the countryside and exploring and the little trail projects... and just being out there. And in this wild/remote country, I never see another human. Just the occasional mule deer, antelope, jack rabbit, coyote, and on rare occasions bighorn sheep. and lots of lizards and horny toads. and hawks and gold eagles and ravens and quail and chukars, and while I was hiking the day before laying out a new trail for the LD on Wednesday, a couple buzzards were circling overhead. (always a little disconcerting :)

There are a few minor changes in the trails, and I'll be putting update maps up soon (maybe tonight) - so if any of you are printing maps off the website, check in a day or so for the latest. Another change to note is the LD on Day 2 - it will be 30 miles, instead of 25 miles. We moved the vetcheck and it added a few miles.

We haven't had a drop of rain this summer (well a few drops, but nothing significant) so it's going to be a little dusty in places. But the cottonwoods are starting to turn gold in the canyons, it's going to be pretty.

Forecast so far,

high temps:
Wednesday (today)- 85
Thur. - 84
Fri.   - 83
Sat.  - 75 (chance of thunderstorms)
Sun.  - 74 (chance of thunderstorms)
Mon.  - 68
Tue.  - 68
Wed.  - 71
Thu.  - 77
Fri.  - 78

Low temps will be in the 60's, then into the low 50's next week, maybe dropping down to mid 40's Monday and Tuesday.
Sunny or partly cloudy, so far it looks perfect!

see ya soon!

Steph