[RC] "different" training technique! - Marlene Moss

We have an arab that has been abandoned several times and has some sensitivity issues.  We are finally making progress in developing a nice endurance or trail horse. One of the last issues is that he does not back out of a 2 horse trailer.  Just flat out refuses.  My husband once bodily forced him out, but now he just pushes back hard.

Today we tried just leaving him until he decided to figure it out (rather than pulling the divider and letting him turn) and the clock was still ticking after 2 hours.  Then my mom came up with an idea – this horse also does not tolerate fly spray, he gets pissed.  He doesn’t get bothered by flies so my husband hasn’t pushed this one because he’s been trying to keep the riding enjoyable and not frustrating.

So we figured that either he’d learn to deal with fly spray or he’d back out of the trailer!  He chose backing out (actually fairly calmly)and we gave him lots of praise and moved him away from the trailer.  I’m looking forward to the next time to see if there is any improvement!

On the other hand we had a spectacular ride today in the mountains, both of our horses dealing with technical footing and a pretty serious 2.5 mile climb.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com - Saddle Fitting