Re: [RC] Girthy - Sluys Guys

Hi Angie, It could have been the sand, I had to wash it off of Blue's belly at every vet check. Also is it possible that he got bitten by chiggers? My mare, Rose, who did the 30 on Thursday ended up with bites all up and down her legs and on her belly. I'm assuming that it was the chiggers, the bumps were oozy and inflamed. I washed them with iodine shampoo that I left on and it seemed to help some. She is the only horse I have that has had that reaction but it made me remember that it had happened there before in the past when I did an NATRC ride there. One tip to prevent chafing is to use Body Glide instead of Desitin. The sand and grit doesn't stick to it as much. I started using it on Blue to prevent scratches caused by sand irritation (as per Dr. Ann Stuart's recommendation) and it really works better, it might do better on the girth area too.
I wondered what happened to you, did you finish the ride? I never saw you again after that second loop. I gave Blue extra time in the vet check because the humidity had gotten to him a bit and he took a while to pulse down. I had to ride the last 60 miles by myself which was a big mental challenge as Blue loses his motivation when riding alone. We finished around 5:45 in the morning. I felt sorry for the folks that had to wait up for me but they looked like they were having a good time around the camp fire. Blue was in great shape at the final vet check but glad to be back with his mare, Rose.
Nancy Sluys