[RC] Old Selam report - heidi larson

Got back yesterday with Bev Ryan from the 2-day ride in Idaho - 12.5 hour drive
(about 2 hours worth of stops to let horses out/fuel up, etc.)  Arrived on
Thurs. to let the horses recuperate.  Weather was beautiful but a bit too hot
on Sat.  Trail was fast but the few steep hills and rock in the beginning kept
things under control (mostly.)  We rode both days and Ash did great, looked
awesome and while I was hoping the Sat. ride would get him to use his brain a
bit more on Sunday, he was rearing to go once we got out of camp.  Pretty much
a wild man, my woah dammit muscles were screaming at me the next day!  Met
Suzanne Hayes on Day 2 (she rode her gorgeous palomino on Day 1 and finished
3rd I believe) and I rode part of the 2nd loop with her on Day 2 (she was on
her lovely gray that can really power trot!)  She is a lovely person and got BC
at the end of the day while Ash got high vet score/his CRI was 44/44!  Ash
finished strong and only got a little
bored and depressed from being alone on that last loop but saw two LD riders
and that perked him right up!  He ate everytime I asked him to take a "bite"
and took good care of us.  He looked great Monday morning and when I unloaded
him here at home, he immediately started eating and then "raced" me to the
barn!  He's 12 this year and has really matured into a lovely boy and I enjoy
my time with him.  If you hear me cussing him on the trail, I really don't mean
it and we've usually forgiven each other by the 1st vet check!  Both days I
rode behind a very nice couple (she on a bay and he on a gray) and I didn't get
their names, but I think they were friends of Suzie Hayes.  It is always nice
to meet new people and I try to make a point of doing that at the rides I
attend.  The ride management were sweet and funny, put out ice chests with cold
water/ice cubes and popcicles on the trail!! Very appreciated!  Potluck was
delicious, riders were courteous,
trail well-marked, lots of water and the vets and volunteers couldn't have
been more organized, at least when I was in the checks, things seemed to go
pretty smoothly!  On to Oregon 100!

.      o o          o o
    o_ \ \____   o_ \_\
       o  o    o-- /