To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: Not sure what to call it

Yes that's it! "ponying". I have not read about this in a while however I am ready to train my two Arabs to pony each other.

I did some reading from your archives folks. Boy do you all have experiences. Thanks for sharing.

I have a couple questions for you regarding some things you noted in your postings.

My Arabs are a 13 alpha mare who is well broke, FINALLY!! and my newly broke gelding who is far from alpha but love to play and fidgit. They are pasture mates and turned out except for when the ice and cold rain comes.

Before my gelding went off to be broke my mare was mean to him but loved him. He was gone for two months. Since he has been back she just LOVES him and seems to protect. It was neat to see him come home and study there reactions. He does pick at her as much and he separates himself from her more in the pasture.

I have been leading them on my trails and down the road together for a couple weeks now. Surprisingly my mare, who always has to be in front, immediately goes to the back. I'm happy about this becuase on the trail she always has to be in front and is not satisfied if anyone gets a head of her.

I don't know if she is mothering my gelding or just letting him lead. However, they do great with this exercise.

I agree with riding her because of her experience and ponying him. However, I cannot figure out how you mean to "coil the lead rope and feed it out"??
And I didn't see mentioned the recommended length of the lead to pony him with?

The good thing is I have a controlled environment and I plan to just let go of my gelding if things get out of hand. I am not connecting the two of them in any way or fashing. I tend to not agree with this because I am one who does not like to tie my horses but make them stand and wait for my signal. I think this will keep us safer. I know they want to be together no matter where they go so I am not worried about letting one loose. They tend to be more behaved together they when separated.

My goal is not to take them on trails with others away from home but to just take them both out at once in our environment or when I ride alone.

Thanks again for all your expertise and I look forward to any other suggestions you may have.

Denise
I love Arabians!

----- Original Message ----- From: "BS" <caqueens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>