[RC] VA Highlands Challenge ~ one riders POV - Janice Taylor

It was a wonderful ride!  Management was on top of every detail even though
I think they were a bit overwhelmed by our numbers...<g>  Didn't see a
single volunteer get frazzled.

I unfortunately missed the good entertainment, which I was really looking
forward to, as I was lending moral support to Mary Lynn with her sick horse=
.
*(He is home and happy now, thank the Gods, wonderful volunteers, and good
vets.)*

The volunteers did a good job of taking care of we who had no crew.  Thank
you so much for putting our gear together, I really hate to spend time
looking for scattered gear when my legs are like noodles and my horse, just
wants to eat...  And thank you for filling our water for us too. I get
rather tunnel visioned at these rides and it is hard to focus on more than
one thing at a time...<g>  Unfortunately we are still missing some gear fro=
VC 1 & VC 3.  Guess it will turn up in time. We'll be more organized next
year.  Guess color coded may do the trick...along with duck taped
instructions. <g>

All those water tanks at just the right locations were much appreciated by
my pony, especially the one at the top of that 1 mile gravel road on the
last leg.  The milege markers were nice too, although I have to say that
when I saw the one saying I had 9.7 miles to camp, it was hard to tell my
pony that we were 'almost there'....urgh. I was really looking for that roa=
crossing and knew it was near, but four more miles!  VA has longer miles
than KY by the way...<g> We just put it in gear, sucked it up and trotted
on.

My horse did great!  I was whipped... And, the scenery was spectacular!  I
somehow missed how beautiful the gravel/dirt road was going out of camp, bu=
even though I was pretty much exhausted I was able to appreciate it's beaut=
when I was coming back in.  Have to say though at that point, the most
beautiful sight was Nancy G standing there at the finish line, smiling
and waiting for me!!

Will we be back, oh yeah...<g>

Janice & Noways

--