[RC] VA Highlands ride - Mary Lynn/Greg

    A huge THANK YOU to all who helped me at the new VA Highlands Ride in Ivanhoe, VA this weekend.  My horse Mr. Breezz started to show colic distress after passing through the second vet check of the 55 mile ride.  Another check by our capable vets Drs. Otis Schmitt and Nicki Mueten, a shot of Banamine and he was trailered quickly back to camp to relax.  Unfortunately he did not get better and the local treatment vet was called.  15 liters later he still wasn't comfortable.  Wonderful volunteers Genia Hargis, her sister Donna and best friend Heidi graciously drove us up the interstate 50 miles to VA Tech in Blacksburg, VA at 9pm.  I must say Friday night Mr. Breezz's future looked dim, he was still in pain receiving fluids at full bore and loaded with drugs.  No real poop since about noon.  I left him recumbent in a stall with IV's flowing, a nasal tube taped to his halter and a bleak outlook from the hospital vet.  I was sure I was only going back later in the morning to pick up his halter and a few strands of his tail hair for a memento.  Long story short he was better on Saturday morning looking brighter but still not 'Breezz like'.  I hand grazed him and he really chowed down, he was very interested in talking to his pasture mate in the trailer as we walked past.  My husband and I left to head back to KY with his mare.   Today he's been eating chopped forage and dragging the techs around to graze.  My best friend and riding buddy Janice Taylor is going with me to pick him up on Monday.

    So thank you to all who helped me in this difficult situation. And special thanks to all the crew for a wonderful trail and camping area at Jubilee Park.  The volunteers couldn't have been nicer.  Breezz is 18 in Oct - now his endurance career is over and he'll get to hang out with the other retirees.

Mary Lynn Stockdale