Re: [RC] Ponying a horse - Karen Sullivan

What about a junior who has to stay with a sponsor?<g>  Quite a few years ago at Camp Far West 25, I made the somewhat dimwitted decision to bring my two kids and both dogs.......and a friend caught a ride with me last minute.  Aside from the pug upchucking tampons the whole weekend, the baby rattlesnakes sleeping under my camper levelers, to add to the stress my daugther's accident prone Arab rolled under a feeder the week before and injured her hip.  As a replacement, we took the ahem, somewhat green, but fit Anglo Arab.  To insure I had at least some control during the ride, l my daugther had reins..but the anglo Arab was on a leadline for a good portion of the ride.....my son gleefully trotted and cantered ahead on his Arab/mustang, while i made sure the Anglo was heading the the same general direction as the horse I was riding.  At the last vet check, I took my mare back to the creek to sponge her down, and the Anglo promptly had a hissy fit and kicked out at a horse that was honestly right on her butt......and my then 15 year old or so daugther promptly had a hissy fit and decided to quit the ride, 6 miles from the finish, declaring she would never ride that horse again!  Took a bit to calm her down, promising we could walk the last 6 miles and finish the ride.....in anycase, it was darn stressful and I would never choose to "pony" a horse again!!!
Karen