[RC] Spookiness scale - Melinda Faubel

Hello Cindy - I'm reading archives right now, so I guess I get to post to the entire list.

I have 2 horses.  One is of the type you want, the other is of the type you do not......I'll explain some of the things I noticed with each when I first got them and hopefully that helps you in your search. (if you don't want to read the entire thing - I got carried away - I put a summary at the bottom!)

Minx (my Standardbred):

History:
She has literally seen everything (ex race track horse), drives a buggy, and has always gone out all by herself with no prodding.   We have done 7 rides (not all completions) and we have been through a lot in the 2 years I have had her.  I have civil war reenacted off of her with cannon fire.  I am currently doing a pony club adult thingy with her (arena work, dressage, poles etc.).  I do calvarly horse camps on her with swords, jumping, bareback, guns, night rides etc.  I got her when she was 8 years old.

Personality:
HOWEVER - even with all this history she continues to be a violent spooker who spooks, dives, spins, bolts etc with very little warning and at stuff she has seen a MILLION times.  I have a feeling she will be forever green.  I really have to stay on my toes.  She also has more heart than any horse I have ever met and for what she has given to me she will have a forever home.  One thing I notice about her is a high internal energy level.  She relaxes but never "off the job".  She also didn't have ANY curiosity - everything tended to either a fear response or ignored.  It has only been after 2 years of consistant work that I feel like she can just take it easy.  When we meet something scary on the trail she tends to move her feet and it's easy to go through or past stuff because all I have to do is channel that movement.

What happened the first day I looked at her:
The day she was given to me I pulled her out of the pasture where she had been for 2 years (unknown history besides the track before that) and jumped on her bare back with a halter.  The next day we went galloping on the beach.  :)

Farley (my Arabian):

History:
Fairly uncertain - has had 1-2 babies by the time I got her at 8 years old.  Hadn't been used much in the last 1-2 years - maybe once a week.  Born in San Jose, on her second owner (also in San Jose) which makes me think she hasn't seen a lot.  No endurance rides yet, but I'm planning on a couple of LD's this fall.  I am also using her in pony club activities, and will be training her for calvarly games.

Personality:
No drama.  Spooks tend to be very limited and she is more likely to stubbornly "stick" to a spot rather than move or bolt.  She doens't have the alpha mare confidence of Minx, but we do solo conditioning rides with good results.  She does not have a high internal energy level.  She's fairly laid back.  Easy to teach, lots of natural curiosity.

What happened the first day I looked at her:
She hadn't been ridden in 2 weeks.  I put my saddle on her in the round pen where she proceeded to buck for 3 solid minutes.  She wouldn't hardly even notice me in the round pen and insisted on galloping around in circles with a very high head and tight body.  After finally getting her to settle a bit (ie STOP) I got on her.  She was terrible in the round pen, better in the arena, and a DREAM on the trail.  No nonescense, let's get out there and burn some trail and whatever speed you want (and lets catch a mouth ful of grass along the way).  After my test trail ride I knew she was my new endurance horse.

Summary -

If you just look at history you can be fooled.  If you just react on what the horse DOES on that first ride, you can be fooled.  I think that horses talk to us from the first minute you look at them and they will tell you what their personality is like.  I accepted Minx with my eyes wide open - even though everything seemed to be fine, I sensed that she was a high energy horse, dominant, etc, but I also sensed she had a lot of heart and that was fine with me.  I've not been dissapointed by her.  Farley, even with her antics, let me know that she was actually quite laid back.  She's a no fuss, no drama type of horse.  I have a lot of fun riding her and it's nice to have a horse I can put anyone on.  Go see horses and hear what they have to tell you, that's my advice.