[RC] HAM Radio operators at rides - Alissa Norman

Hi Diane,

We use our local HAM group at the Foxcatcher ride in Maryland, and it really helps us out.  We have three spots on trail where a pair of HAMs will be for the day, and one "Head HAM" who is in base camp.  All our holds are in camp so that makes life easier.  When we do 100's, we have a HAM at the away hold, as well.

We put them out in pairs because when you get groups of 10 riders coming past you shouting out their numbers life gets a little confusing.  And when you have long stretches of nobody coming by, life gets a little boring.

The HAMs in the field have a blank sheet, where they write rider numbers and time the rider passed them.  We tried giving them pre-filled sheets that already have rider names and numbers on them, so they could just write down the times.  Didn't work as well as a blank sheet.  They call in every few minutes to the Head HAM to report who has passed them, and at what time.

The Head HAM is in constant contact with ride management and will need to know who has been pulled at the vet checks.  He relays that info on to the field HAMs.  And he keeps track of where each rider is.  He has a pre-filled excel spreadsheet with rider numbers, as well as a column for each time that rider passes a HAM in the field.  So he can put in check marks or times at every point.

The HAMs have been invaluable to us, and they LOVE doing the rides!  We did have drag rider HAMs one year, as well, which was really great.  We may have to do so again this coming year, as we'll have rides, R&T, and a trail run all happening at once.

I read the archives so I can't see your email address.  Email me at alissa.norman at gmail dot com and I am happy to send you the sheets we have used for our HAMs, as an example.

PS - our last ride the HAMs helped with a rider dispute, as well - one rider thought another got off trail.  We used the HAM records to investigate.

Good luck with your ride!  Sounds like a great one!

Alissa Norman
Foxcatcher Endurance

The Va Highlands  Endurance Challenge will be this coming Friday and
Saturday for the first time. A group of Amateur radio operators,
including my husband and myself, are organizing to provide communication
links for the ride. The group asked me to ask RideCamp for any advice
that they may have for the radio operators. We would like to contribute
to this ride going smoothly and will be at the vet checks, the base camp
and at a few other places as needed. The area the ride is being held in
is mountainous and cellphone coverage is not always possible. We will be
using Amateur radio signal repeaters and have a couple of drag riders with
radios, too.

Any advice from riders or ride managers would be greatly appreciated! We
are trying to think of all contingencies...

Thanks!!

Diane Coleman, KF4PCX