[RC] A Great Ride - Sarah L. Jarvis

When a friend asked if I would drag ride for the Colorado Trail CTR I thought it would be an easy conditioning ride for my mare.  It would be a great chance to see some beautiful trail and a rare opportunity to pleasure ride with friends.  When we left the barn on Friday afternoon it was cold and damp with a light drizzle that had begun overnight.  As we drove to the camp site the rain continued but as we set up camp it began to break and we were hopeful.  6:00am the next morning broke with steady rainfall and we all drug our feet saddling our waterlogged mounts.  We headed down to the start and away we went.  The group I was riding with was drag riding for the open class so we were able to keep a good pace.  My horse felt fresh and focused.  Despite the wet weather, she seemed eager to head down the trail.  Later that afternoon the steady rainfall turned into freezing hail.  Mild discomfort was turning to pure misery!  My gloves began to freeze.  My pants were soaked through and I couldn’t feel my legs.  My Ariats were holding water in better than keeping it out.  Through it all my mare trotted down the trail with ears forward and head down.  She had a job to do.  By now she had figured out the name of the game was to keep the last rider in sight but not pass them.  With no help from me she would pace herself, slowing on the downhill, shifting her weight to her haunches and shuffling down each hill in the same pace she had powered up the hill before.  All I could do was hang on and avoid tree branches.  We came into the P&R and an eager volunteer pulsed her at 11!  As we turned for home, we were both at the edge of our patience but our job was not done.  Two riders had opted to call it a day and take an alternate trail for home.  We followed.  Cold, wet and tired I was eager to put my mare in neutral and boogie to home.  The riders we were following however chose to walk the 3 miles into camp.  As the drag rider, walk we did.  I could no longer feel my feet, legs, or hands.  Olympia’s mane was freezing!  It was the longest three miles of my life!

For as miserable as our “light conditioning ride” was I have never been so proud of my little mare!  This was the first time I have taken a back seat and simply trusted her to do her job and she pulled us through with flying colors.  I have no doubt she was as cold and miserable as I but her focus never waivered.  She never took a bad step, never acted up about the slow pace and trotted on through the hail without hesitation.  I couldn’t have asked for more.  Just maybe less rain!

Sarah L. Jarvis

  ~From balance comes true unity...

       From unity comes infinite possibilities~

          http://www.InfiniteEquestrian.com

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
http://www.doteasy.com