RE: [RC] Shoeing - Karen Standefer

It’s also a lot different for a mare in foal because the weight gain is gradual and doesn’t happen abruptly as it does with a rider hopping up and riding.  It’s a BIG difference. And for some horses it’s the difference in being able to go barefoot or needing shoes for support.

Karen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Walker
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:33 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] Shoeing

I don't know the weight of a foal, but even if the weight approach that of rider + tack, there is still the  difference between walking/grazing for maybe 20 miles, and endurance speeds for 50 - 100 miles.

Also - I doubt that the weight distribution for rider + tack is the same for an in utero foal (which close to max weight only the last part of the gestation period, remember).