[RC] Why I require hoof protection (was: Barefoot endurance) - sherman

The statement "if a horse gets 'ouchie' it will be pulled" is completely in line with our other standards, isn’t it? If a horse gets girth sores, it’s pulled unless the girth can be changed or moved to a different spot where it won’t continue to be a problem. If a horse gets interference nicks it may be pulled unless you can put protection on if (if it is not already painful). If the horse’s back or other muscles get sore, it’s pulled it can be pulled. We go into a ride thinking all will be well, then get pulled if it isn’t.

I don’t ride my horse barefoot at 50s, he wears boots, but I don’t believe anyone who rides their horse barefoot would do so with the thought of “oh well, if it hurts, then we’ll boot or pull”. Most conscientious horse owners do what they feel their horse is capable of without getting hurt or injured, but $@&! happens, and even the toughest of bare hooves could develop a problem, as could a shod horse, then it should/would be pulled unless the problem can be remedied.

Some owners shoe the fronts only because the fronts take most of the load when the horse moves and so puts more stress on them.

I see Kat’s point of view also, I surely would not want to take a barefoot horse into a ride and not be able to tell if he is sore. I boot before the ride because I know my horse is not comfortable doing long hard miles without protection.

Kathy

I have to agree with Kat on reasons RM often prefer shod or booted horses at their rides.

The statement " if a horse gets 'ouchie' it will be pulled" really bugs me. Is it fair to the horse to make him sore before he can be pulled? Or before you shoe or boot?

Some of the old time "cowboys" and I use the term loosely, shod only the fronts because the horse was too bronky to handle the hinds. Some times they were just lazy. The _expression_ was "if the front end goes the back end will follow"
A really snakey horse, bad to buck, often went bare, he wouldn't buck so hard if his feet hurt.
I can't help wondering if a few endurance horses are easier to rate if they are bare? Hard to be chargey if your feet hurt (;>)

Sorry, take it with a grain of salt.

Dot