[RC] barefoot distance - Toni Jones

Hi,

I rarely post any more. But I'll chime in here.

There are actually quite a few more people quietly riding their horses barefoot at endurance rides than you may realize. I've been riding my horse barefoot, where allowed, at endurance rides for a few years now. I also have boots available if needed/required. I have several friends also doing this, but we are fairly low key about it due to the open hostility we experienced in earlier years from some vets and some ride managers. I'm very happy to see a more positive attitude on the part of ride managers and vets towards barefoot horses these days.

I also use to be one of those skeptics that thought you had to shoe, no if's, and's or but's. Now I know through my own experiences with my horses and with my friends horses that this is not true. I've found that I like being the one in control of my horses feet. If I see something I don't like I can rasp a little off here or there in between my trimmer/farrier visits. I can boot or not on conditioning rides. And my horse gets the freedom of being barefoot in between rides.

My horses live on a hill of rocky terrain. Yes, this helps. I train on rocky trails close by. I do not hesitate to start a ride barefoot, and I often finish that way. But if I feel the boots are needed, or the vet makes a comment about how they gait out, then I will boot at that time. I have done LD and 50's, and so do my friends.

Just because we aren't vocal about it doesn't mean we aren't out there riding and completing rides barefoot.

Toni Jones
Shagya's
Amara's O'Biwon
and Betwixt