[RC] [RC] Why I require hoof protection (was: Barefoot endurance) - Rick Jackson

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'll admit there is much for me to learn, yet being a less than experienced rider I can still tell if my horse is ouchy or picked up a stone. It only takes a few steps, sometimes only one misstep and I am looking for what is wrong. If my horse is not walking or trotting "right", I won't even take him off the property. I would be more trusting in riders knowing their own horses. I don't put on rides though and the ride management and staff assume a much higher degree of responsibility. It is ultimately up to each rider to be fully responsible for the condition and well-being of their mount.

 I understand there are those who are driven by ego and/or competition who will sacrafice their animal for their own satisfaction. It is a sad fact in almost every form of competition that there is that very small percentage of do-or-die people. I believe that the majority are still primarily concerned with the health of the animal and the enjoyment of the sport. Call me naive if you will, but that is how I feel about distance riding. For me "To finish (with a healthy horse) is to win"!

Rick
As for me and my horse, we shall serve the Lord. Gallopin' 2:4