[RC] Important message from Swanton Pacific ride - Barbara McCrary

The entries have gone over the limit with people still wanting to enter.  Since parking has been the issue causing us to limit the entries, we have come up with the following plans:

1)  We have been granted permission to park rigs in the first field on the left as you go to our ride camp.  This is a big field, flat, with plenty of turnaround and parking room.  It is about 1/2 mile from the main camp - dining, registration, and vetting area.  We are asking those who will be driving large LQ trailers to park and camp there.  We will provide 1 porta-potty, but LQ trailers are self-contained and carry their own water supply.  There is creek access at either end of the field, but it is a fair walk, so another reason to be self-contained.  We will have signs out to direct large trailers there.

2)  Parking space at the two one-hour vet checks is a serious issue.  It has been an issue even with a relatively small number of entries.  Our attendance is double what is was in 2006!  We've decided to ask for 20 volunteers from the audience with no more than 8 pickups to be responsible for taking crew bags for all the riders into each vet check.  These volunteers will crew for ALL RIDERS, and will not leave their assigned vet check until the last horse has left.  It is possible for the crew at the first 1-hour VC to get to the second 1-hour VC before the first horse arrives there.  It may be that the best bet is to have two crews.  A third VC has a 45-minute hold for the 100s and a 15-minute hold for the 75s.  This VC will not be possible for the Cascade crew to reach in time for the first horses and will leave the Bloomquist crews waiting for nearly 3 hours.  In this case, we may need a third crew of 20 volunteers.

We have had very good relations with the parks for 25 years, and we don't want to lose that due to non-compliance of the rules.

IMPORTANT NOTICES:

NO OPEN FIRES OR HIBACHIS OR BBQ UNITS OF ANY SORT IN CAMP.  ALSO, NO SMOKING...ON TRAILS, IN CAMPS, IN VET CHECKS.  FIRE DANGER IS EXTREMELY HIGH.  I HAVE PROMISED THE OWNER/MANAGER OF THE NEW PARKING AREA THAT THERE WILL BE NO FIRES.

NO CREWS THAT ARE NOT ON THE VOLUNTEER TEAMS WILL BE ALLOWED AT VET CHECKS.  ANYONE NOT COMPLYING WITH THESE RULES WILL BE CAUSE THEIR RIDER TO BE DISQUALIFIED.

DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE PARKS....BLOOMQUIST FLAT AND CASCADEWE HAVE A SPECIAL CAMPING AREA RESERVED FOR PEOPLE BRINGING DOGS.  OR...YOU MAY PARK IN THE FIRST FIELD WITH DOGS IF YOU ARE BRING A LARGE RIG.  DOGS MUST BE EITHER TIED OR CONFINED AT ALL TIMES, AS THERE IS LIVESTOCK IN THE AREA....ALSO WILD TURKEYS, WILD PIGS, DEER, BOBCATS, ET AL.  DO NOT BRING DOGS INTO THE MAIN CAMP, VETTING AREA, OR START-FINISH AREA.

SANTA CRUZ COUNTY IS DOING REPAIRS ON A WASHOUT TO SWANTON ROAD THAT OCCURRED SEVERAL YEARS AGO.  THEY ARE PUTTING IN CRIBBING TO HOLD THE BANK THAT IS IMMEDIATELY ABOVE THE CREEK.  THIS IS ON A BLIND TURN.  THEREFORE, PLEASE USE THE NORTH ENTRANCE TO SWANTON ROAD.  IF YOU ARE COMING FROM THE SOUTH, DRIVE PAST THE SOUTHERN ENTRANCE ANOTHER 5 MILES, TO THE NORTHERN ENTRANCE.  IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, YOU WILL BE STUCK THERE, BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY TO TURN AROUND AND NO WAY TO BACK UP.  I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!

Barbara McCrary
Ride Mgr., Swanton Pacific 75/100
"The Most Beautiful Trail in the World"

See our Website: http://www.donerailfarm.com/Misc/SwantonPacificwebsite2008.htm