[RC] Shavings - Cunningham, Marci

After 30 years of pulling horse trailers I put shavings in my trailer for the first time last October for my trip to the Grand Canyon XP 5 day ride.  I took 2 horses and have had problems with the floor getting slippery from the poop and pee on similar long trips which was from Bakersfield to Kanab.  A couple of years ago I had a WERM floor installed so I don’t have to worry about pulling out mats for cleaning.  I used two bales of shavings but one probably would have been sufficient.  I am happy to say I was pleased with the results.  It was easy to remove the soiled shavings after the trip and I still have plenty of shavings left in my trailer.  My trailer is a SilverLite 3 horse stock trailer with one air gap on each side, roof vents and a window in the back door.  I don’t have any problem with shavings flying about during a trip and I think the inside stays cooler with the shavings and the horses seem to be more comfortable standing in the trailer and have no problems pooping or peeing.  I can see if you have an open stock trailer that the shavings would fly around but not so with my trailer.  I am a shavings convert now.

Marci