[RC] Surveys, what they mean, and what we, members who just want to ride! - Ranelle Rubin

Mike said,

" I'd like to use polls and surveys to get member feedback but
wonder what a response rate of about 1 in 20 members really tells
us. That all our members really want to do is "just ride"?

Well....yes, in fact I think a great many of us do want to "just ride"...I have to admit I did not even open the email...(I don't open them all). It was a busy week, and I only open ones that directly interest me. I am one of the "I just want to ride" folks. I love riding, period. I love bringing young horses to the point they can do this sport safely, and well. I am not a point chaser...I frankly have been a single mom as long as I have been an endurance rider. Time and money have always had to be balanced. How do you tell a 15 yr old you are going to go to a ride instead of watch him play first base in the all star game??  Don't think so. My two boys know I love my horses as much as I love them.....but they know they come first.

I think that is why it took me so long to make my first attempt at Tevis (last year). I did not have the time/right horse/funds to prioritize it in my life. Funny, now that I gave it a shot...I am not sure when I will do that again..next year on Fellow, or wait until his little brother is ready?? If I do, my biggest joy will be to have my boys at the finish..especially Alex, my youngest. He really loves the horses...just doesn't want to ride.

Lately, I find myself preferring to spend the $$ on gas to get to a great place (like Tahoe or the ocean) and just stay there and ride instead of doing an endurance ride. I have done two 50's this year..both within two hours of home. Will likely do one more later in the fall...but not sure of even that? I have no negative feelings about doing rides, I just find myself in a "just wanna ride" mode.

Now that I am starting another horse..a DR Thunderbask son out of a Koszar dtr...MMF Thunder Bay (Ranger), I am having a blast..! He makes me laugh..he is so very cute! He is so "five". Today he gets to go for his first "big boy" ride...:) We are going to the Pacific Crest Trail which we can haul to in an hour from home. Got to remember to bring the camera..!

Got to go...Just ride!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx