[RC] Big thumbs up for APEX Clinic in Vermont ... - Patti Stedman

Hey folks.

When the fates told me to leave my horse at home for the VT 100 by forecasting 90 degrees, causing the truck's tranny to leak and causing a bicyclist to run down my pedestrian crew member - breaking both of his wrists, I decided to make lemonade out of the lemons.

I bolted from a client meeting on Tuesday and went to the last two days of the three day APEX Clinic hosted by Rojek's Smoke Rise Farm in Vermont last week.  :-)

Clinicians included:  Stagg Newman, Jeff Pauley, John Crandell III, Kerry Ridgway, Ann Stuart, Jim Masterson, Dinah Rojek and Doug Lietzke.  Just about every critical topic you'd want to discuss in depth to move up in distance or speed was discussed -- conformation, conditioning, shoeing, chiropractic, massage, saddle fit, ulcers, sports psychology, and making the most of the endurance community -- all were included.

But I think what most impressed me about the clinic was the sense of community, and the openness of the clinicians to take time to talk about what works for them, what didn't work for them, and what ideas they thought might work for you.  No cookie cutter approaches, not by a long stretch, just lots of open discussion, experienced voices and an atmosphere seeking to educate and coach.  I've got tons of notes scribbled in the column of my working notes -- "Try this with Ned!"   "You idiot, why aren't you already doing this?!"

Given that whole transmission thing with the truck, I wasn't able to bring my horse to the clinic, but am told the August clinic in North Carolina is open and available to riders and/or horses.  Check out the details at:

My plan is to spill a few more details in an upcoming Endurance News article, but wanted to offer kudos where deserved to the entire APEX team.  Hope I don't sound like I drank the KoolAid, but it is an experience well worth recommending to any distance rider, new or veteran.

--Patti Stedman (New York)

Patti Ann Stedman, CHMM
Proactive Compliance Services Inc.
"A Common Sense Approach to Health, Safety and Environmental Training and Compliance"
716 560 8297