Re: [RC] Mean people - FXLivestock

Tammy,

It seems to me that the nature of most Internet lists is that there are 1,000 lurkers and a very small number of those that actively participate.  I don't think that this is an exception on the ridecamp list or on endurance lists specifically.  I belong to a few lists that have nothing to do with endurance that range from other sports, crafts, livestock, and travel.  The number of active participants really is quite low compared to members in each of the lists I belong to.
    Although I do not belong to your list, the endurance open, I do sometimes follow the archives.  You have close to 150 members and I would say from the archives only a small minority of members actively post.  These active members post multiple times making up the bulk of the chat traffic on your list.  This is similar to the ridecamp e mail traffic.  Like ridecamp, both your list and my list, So Cal endurance,  have relatively few active members posting when compared to overall membership and the tone of both of these lists does not have a ridecamp like atmosphere like you describe.

I am not calling attention to this to be contrary.  I am just trying to point out that most lists, regardless of their individual personalty or subject matter, have many more lurkers (readers & deleters) than active participants.  This does not mean that your perception is wrong just that there could be another explanation or other explanations on why there are "1000 readers and only 20 people talking on this particular list".

Just my personal observation.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

No matter what the subject is... here you, *, * &* come, knowledge of all subjects.... it makes people paranoid

to respond to any subject on this list.  That's why there are 20 people talking and 1,000 people reading only...”