[RC] Safe and lawsuits - Tx Trigger

I thought (and maybe I'm wrong, because I have only scanned these posts)
that this discussion started because a jerk of a rider, over-road his horse
at a ride to the point of it needing serious treatment, and then tried to
sue the ride vet.

Riders need to take responsibility for their actions. I'm tired of hearing
people complain and even threaten to sue because their actions, caused them
problems. Take responsibility, or go get into another sport that does not
involve horses. I think "Duck" has the right idea about entries, and
releases. From the XP web site:

***THE RIDER OATH

I will not gripe, bellyache or complain about anything pertaining to an XP
Ride because I realize that this is a low budget affair and that the
management does not care if I have a problem. I realize and agree that
anyone who would ride an endurance ride led by a Duck has to be crazy and
would not have a worthwhile opinion anyway. I am here to have a good time
and if I find that I am not having a good time I agree to pack up my things
and go away, leaving the other riders and the management happy in their
ignorance.

RELEASE OF LIABILITY

Upon acceptance of my application for membership I acknowledge that I assume
full responsibility for my safety and the safety of my horse. I further
understand that I ride at my own risk and I agree to hold the XP ride
management, including ride veterinarians, XP Rides LLC, or their heirs,
assigns, and successors, etc. including the United States Government and any
private landowners harmless from any and all claims which may arise from
injury or property damage arising from any case whatsoever in any club
event, in favor of myself, my heirs, representatives, or dependents. I
hereby certify that I fully understand that there are substantial risks
associated with activities involving horses and with endurance riding, and I
hereby freely assume all risks that I may suffer, including but not limited
to personal injury and property damage including damage to my horse, by
participating in an event.***

You took responsibility when you loaded your horse, and headed to the ride.
No one held a gun to anyones head, to tell them to go to the ride, ride the
speed they did, or even cross a busy highway. If you don't like the
conditions, go home.  We had two cross country rides, one in 2001, one in
2004. We crossed highways by ourselves, we sometimes had to find water on
our own, when it was impossible to get some trucked into the "perfect" spot
along the trail. We had no markings, just GPS waypoints, and I'll be darned,
but some found their way without GPS's.  Deal with it, or go home.....

Jonni -tired of riders who whine over every single thing that goes wrong, or
sue a vet because they rode the crap out of their horse, and could not save
it.