Re: [RC] How long to sweat - Rebecca Fabiszak

All I know on this subject the "If you know what you are doing, sweating is very productive in healing the leg quickly." My friend, who is a race horse trainer (no flaming please) and cares very much for his babies, knows how to sweat a leg and has had no problems that I am aware of. Personally, I don't know enough and won't do it without his advice. Ice and water have worked well for me so far. Beccy

----- Original Message ----
From: "Trailrite@xxxxxxx" <Trailrite@xxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:22:07 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] How long to sweat

Sweating a leg....I feel that this is all very old school....If you don't know what your doing this is very dangerous.  It's been over 10 years since I was asked to sweat a leg to reduce the swelling.  Use Ice or hydro therapy, light walking exercise and Bute or some other anti-inflammation drug recommended by your Vet for swelling.

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite Products
18171 Lost Creek Road
Saugus, CA 91390
661/513-9269 office
661/713-3912 cell
661/513-9206 fax
www.trail-rite.com

In a message dated 7/18/2008 9:57:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Cindy Collins said:

> However, somewhere in the thread there was a
> discussion on DMSO/furacin sweats for injury
> and someone said something about only leaving
> it on for a brief time period...a few hours, I think.
> Anyhow, my very experienced equine vet always
> recommends ice, then a DMSO/furacin sweat for
> a serious injury and says to leave it on for 48 hours.

While I have never had a vet tell me to leave a sweat on for 48 hours,
most vets I have any experience with recommend or do it themselves (like
in the hospital) for 12 to 24 hours.  The less time you have it on, the
less it does; personally, I wouldn't bother to do it "for a brief time
period...a few hours" as it is going to have very little effect and it
is a bit of a PITA.

Additionally, when my horse was in the hospital with her swollen leg,
they put the sweat on for 24 hours; however, after pulling it off and
looking at the leg, they put the sweat right back on.  Therefore, the
reason for removing it after 24 hours was not because you don't want to
sweat a leg for too long, but rather because you want to look at it
periodically to monitor its effects, and stop when either the swelling
is gone so you don't need it anymore or if it is apparent that sweating
it is the wrong thing to do for that condition.

I don't like to leave sweats on for more than 24 hours because _I_ want
to see that I am doing the right thing, but I cannot say that I never
have.  Certainly I have left it on for 24 hours, looked at it, and put
it right back on because I like the way it is working.

Done it to myself too.  Sweats also work very well for sprained ankles
in humans.  I can personally attest that not only does it reduce
swelling, it also reduces pain (probably because much of the pain is
caused by the swelling).

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)